Not Frame Accurate

Posted by drtuzi 
Not Frame Accurate
October 24, 2008 05:35AM
It's an HD screen capture project I'm editing - everything captured by me, 25 fps, animation codec, 1280 x720 - no surprises - but in the timeline - every fifth clip or so - the rendered material is not displaying properly frame by frame with ANY of the controls other than play. If rendered, you can't arrow in on the frame-specific action - FCP defaults to a reference frame somewhere in the middle of the of clip and you don't see the real frame you need to make a decision.

The only workaround I found was to trash the render. In UNRENDERED state, I can jog shuttle or arrow frame by frame no problem. But, trust me, this gets to be a lot of re-rendering.

Anybody else dealing with this? Please point to post if covered before.

Thanks.
DrTuzi

www.tuzigoot.com
Re: Not Frame Accurate
October 24, 2008 07:01AM
What version FCP?

The simple answer is don't use animation codec...

Try Pro Res HQ or 10bit Uncompressed or if you are wanting to use 4:4:4 RGB then you will need to get an AJA or Blackmagic Card that is capable of it.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 24, 2008 10:08AM
Yeah...change the Sequence codec to ProRes HQ.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 24, 2008 12:08PM
I didn't know it was even possible to capture Animation codec.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 24, 2008 12:13PM
Neither did I...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 24, 2008 12:24PM
If y'all'll note, he refers to a "screen capture." Must have been recorded from the graphics display and written out using Animation.

Final Cut isn't really built to cut Animation, at least not without some EXTREMELY beefy hardware. Everybody who says to convert it to ProRes is giving you pretty good advice, I think.

October 24, 2008 12:34PM
Oh duh. My eyes just glazed over the word "screen".

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 26, 2008 01:59AM
Sorry for not checking back sooner - been swamped!

Thanks for the advice - yes, indeed, it is an HD software instructional video - capturing the action on the screen.

I was told by guys I thought knew better than me that I should capture in Animation codec. So I assumed i should stick to Animation in sequence settings.

Can I switch midstream without ruining everything? Create a new sequence and cut and paste my edited stuff in a new timeline? Or am I going to have problems down the line because I'm using Animation as my source?

Do you think animation codec might be responsible for annoyingly regular beachball hangs and force quits I've been dealing with?

Thanks again.
October 26, 2008 03:15AM
UPDATE:

Trashed all my render files and converted all sequences to ProRes

Here's hoping - better performance tomorrow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics