Matching color between Canon XL1 and XL2

Posted by shelleyrae 
Matching color between Canon XL1 and XL2
December 08, 2008 10:19AM
Hi,

I'm doing a 2-camera shoot with an XL1 and and XL2. Whenever I use these two cameras I notice that the XL1 has an orange-pink cast and I wind up having to do a ton of color correction to get the footage from the two cameras to match.

I have heard that there have been complaints about this with the XL1 color and that there was a special card you could use to "white balance" from and correct the color. Does anyone know about this?

I'm shooting Wednesday so it would be super to find a solution quickly.

Thanks.

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Matching color between Canon XL1 and XL2
December 08, 2008 07:11PM
Are you talking about a chip chart? If so, you should be able to get them though any good film/video supply shop.

What it does is not change the way the camera works, but allows you to set the correction very quickly using the white, black and absolutely neutral greys on the card. For best results you display it at the head of every scene, or whenever there is a change of lighting.

Looks like this

So in FCP you would use the auto colour set droppers in the three way colour corrector using the complete white, the complete black, and the background grey. This should make both cameras match accurately.

December 08, 2008 08:11PM
I would use a Macbeth Chart and balance the color with the 3-Way Color Corrector in FCP:

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 11, 2008 08:58PM
Jude - So for the chip chart. I would shoot that full frame at the beginning of each scene on each camera. Then once my footage is loaded I apply the color corrector to the chart and use the eyedropper to balance the blackest black, whitest white and the middle gray (background the three chip charts are on?)

Joey - can you explain in more detail how to use the MacBeth chart?

Thanks.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
December 12, 2008 05:14AM
Pretty much, yep. You don't have to shoot it full frame though. Just put it in the lighting conditions you have set up.

December 20, 2008 10:10AM
Thanks Jude. I will try that and hopefully save some time in post.

Merry Christmas!

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
December 20, 2008 07:24PM
That's pretty much what I do on the grayscale areas of the MacBeth Chart (otherwise known as the "Color Checker"winking smiley...except I use the color chips to compare color reproduction on the screen to the actual chart in my hand. Makes tweaking much more detailed.

...and I would zoom in & shoot it so the whole chart is at least 3/4 filling the frame.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics