creating visible time code on low res output for transcriptions

Posted by Katrina 
creating visible time code on low res output for transcriptions
January 04, 2009 04:59PM
FCP 6.0.5 - 2GB 800 HD - 10.5.6 OS

I need to output a low res version on QT with a visible time code to send to Europe to have translated.

Can I create a visible time code on the output?

What's the lowest res output I can use?

Thanks,
Kathy
Re: creating visible time code on low res output for transcriptions
January 04, 2009 05:04PM
This topic has been covered many, many times in the forum and is also in the FAQ:

[www.lafcpug.org]

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
January 04, 2009 05:04PM
>Can I create a visible time code on the output?

Yes.

[www.lafcpug.org]

>What's the lowest res output I can use?

Do a few tests. I compressed to mpeg-1 last time I sent out for translation, because it encodes quite fast, but I didn't have to send it overseas. But I may go with Mpeg4 if it is going through the net, as it encodes fast and it's web friendly.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 04, 2009 06:23PM
sending the file "to Europe" or "overseas" is a bit vague.

how are you sending it?
FTP, or as a file on a disk/drive?

once files are over a few hundred meg, i think i'd rather put it on a DVD and fed-ex it.
but maybe i havent found a good FTP site.
i'm only using You Send It, which has a handy desktop application as an interface.

nick
January 04, 2009 06:32PM
> once files are over a few hundred meg, i think i'd rather put it on a DVD and fed-ex it.

All depends on the upload/download speed on both sides. I've worked with an FX artist who alternates his time between Hong Kong and Vancouver, and given the time differences with Hong Kong, the FTP method -- even if a 1GB animation movie might take two hours to download (slow download speed at work) -- is worth it, especially if it's done overnight. You do have to consider the substantial risk with uploading/downloading, though -- if the process fails midway, you often can't just pick it back up, you'd have to start from scratch.

I've found it a good idea to proceed with both approaches: Put a drive/some discs in the mail, but at the same time, FTP it. If everything actually works, and if you don't flood your internet pipeline in doing it, the FTP would get there first.

> What's the lowest res output I can use?

Depends. You have to maintain the frame rate of your original show for frame-to-frame accuracy, but you should drastically cull the audio -- with long movie files, the audio can amount to a lot. I usually go with 64kbps, 16-bit, 44.1kHz , mono. As for video, there's no answer to that unless you can tell us how long your show is and what your internet speeds on both sides are like. Just remember that if the numbers aren't clear, there's no point in doing a timecode burn.

www.derekmok.com
January 04, 2009 10:50PM
oh, yeah, i forgot to factor this in:
i'm in Australia and we have really slow broadband.
January 05, 2009 02:31AM
Let me add my contribution to timecode burning in with 2 free plugins: FCE Timecode Display and Counter Display.
They add some functions and some flexibility to the standard plugins. Timecode Display is a filter (reads the clip timecode in many forms) and Counter Display is a generator that creates many kinds of counters.

Piero
January 06, 2009 05:00PM
I tried searching in both places first before I posted but must have put the wrong verbiage to find it.
Thanks,
K
January 06, 2009 05:03PM
thanks all for your help.

I like using You Send It too.
K
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics