external drive goes offline

Posted by davko 
external drive goes offline
January 15, 2009 02:37PM
The first time this happened I thought it was an anomaly, but apparently not:

I've had to change capture devices because the camera I normally use was needed elsewhere. But as soon as I hook up the backup camera and select LOG AND CAPTURE, a message and red exclamation mark come up warning me that the device I removed was "not properly put away." (Huh?)

After I select OKAY, all of my media immediately goes offline. It's happened twice now, and the only way of bringing everything back is to shut down the computer, unplug the external drive containing my scratch disk, and reboot. Forget trying to capture... What's going on here?
Re: external drive goes offline
January 15, 2009 02:47PM
Do you have your deck (or camera, or whatever) and framestore on the same Firewire bus?

January 15, 2009 02:52PM
Though Jeff's point is valid, the fact that your old camera didn't have this issue (with presumably the same setup, cabling etc.) suggests to me that your "backup camera" doesn't like other FireWire devices. Using cameras as capture devices is iffy anyway. I've had my DSR-11 hooked up with FireWire 400 and 800 drives running for years without issues, and without an additional PCI card. I'd start looking for another capture device.

www.derekmok.com
January 15, 2009 03:47PM
This would seem to be consistent with what's happening now that I've gotten past the crashing problem (by resetting my device before attempting to log & capture).

Now, strangely, while the tape runs smoothly in the camera, the preview monitor "freezes" the playback every 5 seconds or so, resuming wherever it decides to reset itself, but eventually freezing permanently. Clip playback reflects exactly what's seen, and it happens whether I use FIREWIRE NTSC or FIREWIRE BASIC.

This camera (an XL2) just isn't cut out for deck work. Funny, because the XL1 works just fine.
January 15, 2009 04:04PM
Canon cameras have never been good as capture devices. They just don't like Final Cut Pro. I've had to use an XL1, a GL1 and a GL2 and all of them have fallen short in that function. Get a deck.

www.derekmok.com
January 15, 2009 04:13PM
Haven't read the entire thread but since you have been fiddling with settings you now need to trash prefs and then set up for FW BASIC

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics