Audio Edit- Viewer Playhead controls Timeline Playhead

Posted by hanguolaohu 
Audio Edit- Viewer Playhead controls Timeline Playhead
January 18, 2009 01:16AM
I'm doing a transcript of my movie, and have a pretty basic question when editing audio. I have an audio clip in the timeline and I want to know the timecode of the exact frame when I begin speaking. If I double the audio clip in the timeline, it opens the clip in the Viewer where I can see a large waveform and find the exact frame easily. Now the problem is the timecode is according to that particular clip and there's no reference for the timeline. Is there a command for the timeline playhead to match the playhead position in the viewer? I know if I do vice-versa, where if I move the timeline playhead and double click the clip, the playhead position in the viewer will change. Any info would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Alexander
Re: Audio Edit- Viewer Playhead controls Timeline Playhead
January 18, 2009 01:31AM
are you talking about the "open" sync option? launch the clip in the viewer from the timeline, switch the sync button to "open", like in the picture.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 18, 2009 01:35AM
Use Match Frame -- within the Viewer. That will jump the timeline playhead to that position. For a more permanent locator, use markers (M). Your life in audio editing and syncing will get a lot easier when you get into the habit of using marker shortcuts -- M to create, SHIFT-` to move forward, APPLE-` to remove the current one, CONTROL-` to remove all.

www.derekmok.com
January 18, 2009 01:36AM
My God Strypes, you just saved me hours and hours of frustration! Thank you!!!

I really need to take a class in FCP :-p Totally self-taught.
January 18, 2009 01:47AM
That's called "playhead sync". More useful for CC, even more useful for multicam editing.

>I really need to take a class in FCP

Don't worry about it. Just keep cutting. winking smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
January 18, 2009 02:12AM
Thank you Derek and Strypes! FCP is a never ending journey of learning and humbleness that there's always people out there who will know it better than you :-p
January 18, 2009 02:40AM
Techniques only come -- and only stick in your head -- if you get to use them in a real environment. So I wouldn't worry too much. Learning one new technique per project and then using it repeatedly is ideal, so that rather than forgetting it in a few weeks, you get it into your vocabulary.

www.derekmok.com
January 18, 2009 03:06AM
I agree, I learn best by actually doing. I guess it's frustrating though as there are some very basic functions that I still don't understand or know about. I'm not an editor by trade, and I usually work alone at home, so I end up doing things by reading my Visual Quickpro guide, posting on forums and Googling. Thank God for this forum, it's been a lifesaver for me! I'm amazed by the generosity of you guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics