The Color Curve

Posted by J.Corbett 
The Color Curve
February 04, 2009 07:40PM
Ok i am getting deeper into color correction. I have been experimenting with curves.

On the top right starts a line that goes to bottom left across the color grid.

The top right is the whites and highs and at the bottom left is black and lows.
If this is true, then how can i get color to show me the exact point that a particular blue is on this curve.

I am trying to over accentuate 3 particular colors.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: The Color Curve
February 04, 2009 07:44PM
Color correction does not work that way.

The best introduction to color correction for the impatient is, in my opinion, fxphd's "Digital Color Theory 101" class. I'm not sure whether they're running it this term or not.

It's often said that color grading is an art, not a science. This is wrong. It's an art based on a ridiculous amount of science. Trying to grade a shot without understanding the basics of color is like trying to write a novel without knowing the basics of grammar.

And James Joyce doesn't count. Everybody keeps insisting that he wrote that way on purpose.

February 04, 2009 08:08PM
Allen Ginsberg doesn't count either. He was too high on whatever he was smoking...

www.strypesinpost.com
February 04, 2009 08:15PM
I believe it was mari-ju-wana.

Personally I like a bit of Gertrude Stein ..

February 04, 2009 08:34PM

Trying to grade a shot without understanding the basics of color is like trying to write a novel without knowing the basics of grammar.

I agree...to a point. It's is absolutely more art that science IMHO because IME, that is the way I've handled it for 10+ years. Sure...you should know complimentary colors, the difference between indoor tungsten & outdoor daylight, when the idiot freelance cameraman goes from indoor flourescents to outdoor noon sun and forgets to re-white balance and all that...but no job I ever did was based on numbers or any scientific formula. I simply oozed my way around the color wheels, hue / sat & contrasts until I got what I was looking for. You DO have to know when something is just not looking right and when something is corrected...but that comes with experience (and lots of clients saying "ooooo that's frickin' COOL!"winking smiley.

It's not a science to me...it's most definitely art.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 05, 2009 07:35AM
So there is no way of sampling the blue and having that sample highlight in the scopes, wheel or curve. I guess i will just keep messing it up till i get it right.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 05, 2009 08:03AM
Is it better to work in YCbCr?
I am thinking that tits better to have the luma separate from the chroma. If so.......

Then i could adjust luma problems without it effecting the chroma.

The problem i am having with this blue is that my luma adjustments are screwing up the color i set. ( CSI Miami Look, super satirated rgb but even luma )

""""
February 05, 2009 08:05AM
Adjusting luma by teaking a "Y" curve looks different to adjusting luma by applying the same curve equally to R, G & B. You use each method as appropriate. Adjust RGB curves darker, for instance, will increase apparent saturation.

Graeme
February 05, 2009 10:53AM
Thanks All.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics