Mac mystery

Posted by stnettleton 
Mac mystery
February 17, 2009 08:28PM
Something's seriously wrong here... When I fire up FCP or Color on my Mac Pro, the program seems to work fine for a while, then everything just goes dark. The monitors go into stand-by mode and no keystrokes or frenzied activity with the mouse will wake them up. The CPU seems to still be running and the fan is whirring but I can't do anything but force a shutdown and restart. Then the problem reoccurs. Anyone have a guess as to what's the problem?

I've got a Mac Pro, quad 2.66GHz with 5 GB ram, using Radeon X-1900XT graphics card connecting two 23' apple cinema displays and also using a Blackmagic Multibridge (2-yr old model) card. Four internal disks, one system disk with about 20 percent free disk space and three 750GB disks striped in a raid, with about 40 percent disk space free. Could this be a problem with my graphics card, or something else?

Thanks!
Re: Mac mystery
February 18, 2009 12:48AM
Did you check display preferences to make sure you don't have a hotspot corner set for putting the computer to sleep?

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 18, 2009 12:55AM
I've got preferences set up for expose to use hot corners for viewing the desktop, but not for going to sleep. Sometimes this incident happens even when I'm not actually moving the mouse or doing anything with the keyboard.
February 18, 2009 04:12AM
$20 says the power supplies for the 23" ACDs are bad. In the past year I've had three 23" ACDs (1 @ home and 2 @ work) exhibit the same behavior (eventually the monitor won't come on at all) and it's been a bad power supply in all three cases. Just from Googling the problem it seems somewhat common.

-A
February 18, 2009 04:15AM
Hmm... Launch Console and check whether there are any error reports that you can get a gleam something out of.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 21, 2009 05:47AM
Just had similar problem monitors wont come up Apple says to bring in for issues with graphics card...resetting problems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics