Smoothing dissolves between stills

Posted by shelleyrae 
Smoothing dissolves between stills
March 24, 2009 11:59AM
Hello There Ladies and Gentlemen --

I'm creating a slide show in FC2 using stills. I'm just doing simple slow dissolves between the stills. Some of the dissolve transitions have an unwanted slight "snapping effect" at the end of the dissolve. It's like the incoming still moves down slightly after the dissolve. What can I do to make the dissolve transition smoother? I've tried playing with the start/end percentages in the effects editor but it doesn't really make a difference.

Thanks,
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Smoothing dissolves between stills
March 24, 2009 12:05PM
Shelly,
Are you seeing/watching this on a proper external reference monitor or just within the FCP interface?
Andy
March 24, 2009 12:07PM
It'll be a render issue. If you look at the render bar right above the timeline, there will likely be different colors right there. Try doing a Render Selected (CMD-R) instead of a Render all (CTL-R), or vice versa. If that doesn't render everything the same, then you'll need to change your Render settings in the sequence menu by checking some more menu items under Render all or Render Selected.

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
March 24, 2009 12:21PM
Hi,
I just tried the G-Fast deinterlace filter and applied that. That seemed to work.
Thanks,
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 24, 2009 01:11PM
Huh? That makes no sense at all. Your source material is not interlaced, so deinterlacing it will have no effect.

James is right: What you're seeing is a result of Final Cut playing across an unrendered dissolve. I've seen it a hundred times. All you need to do is render your timeline, and it'll go away.

March 24, 2009 01:25PM
> Huh? That makes no sense at all. Your source material is not interlaced, so deinterlacing it will
> have no effect.

Actually, still-image files like TIFFs and JPEGs (as well as FCP Freeze Frames), when stuck into an NTSC sequence, do sometimes need this.

www.derekmok.com
March 25, 2009 05:44PM
"Huh? That makes no sense at all"

maybe not as crazy as it sounds...

as someone suggested, this could be a render issue.
try rendering rather than applying filters.

if shely rae is not rendering, the dissolves need more RT processing power than the images.
(the dissolves could be ORANGE, the images green, or grey.)
applying a filter to the images pushes them over some "RT edge", so they require more RT

while this could solve the symptoms of a pop on the un-rendered effect,
it's not a real solution.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics