using Red Giant Instant HD?

Posted by Phil UK 
using Red Giant Instant HD?
April 21, 2009 06:05AM
I am thinking of purchasing this filter, I have done some reading up on it and it sounds too good to be true. I was wondering can it pass DV CAM off as HD to broadcast spec? If so I am gob smacked. Cheers Phil UK
Re: using Red Giant Instant HD?
April 21, 2009 07:58AM
No, it can't. Instant HD is a pretty good software upscaler, but it won't fool anybody that DV footage is really 1080i. That's crazy talk.

But when you mix a small amount of SD material into an HD show, you have to convert the low-resolution stuff somehow. Instant HD is one option for doing this. The results I've seen are pretty good, but given the effort involved, I think most folks will continue just using hardware upconversion. I've heard the upconversion built into HDCAM studio decks is pretty amazingly good.

April 21, 2009 09:55AM
I use it all the time. I was on the BETA Test team as well. It really works wonders...but don't think that it will make DV look like HD because it won't. It does look better than a general scaling. It all depends on how good your source material is. If your DV looks like garbage at the start, Instant HD will simply magnify it. You WILL notice the difference between DVCAM & HD clips especially if they are in the same timeline. Still...I couldn't have finished my last project without it. Hardware upconversion is good, but the flexibility you get with this $99.00 plug-in is far superior.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 21, 2009 10:34AM
Thanks gentleman..
April 23, 2009 03:04AM
Joe,

Do you use Instant HD or Instant HD advanced ?
do you know if there is any chance that "advanced" would be operating in Fcp ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics