One pixel line around rendered graphic!

Posted by qeditor 
One pixel line around rendered graphic!
April 30, 2009 11:42AM
OK, in my confusion about this, I turn to the guys who have always helped me in the past - the Edit Gods of LAFCPUG!

I have a JPEG graphic that has a white background around the image, but the image itself (a JPEG image of a graph of arrows) goes right to the edge of the screen (720 x 480). I scale it down to fit within the screen then I select Matte --> Color and use the eyedropper on the JPEG, I get a solid white color that I then place on V1, with the JPEG on V2 and I Nest that puppy. There is now a green line on it in the timeline - the graphic looks OK, but is slightly rasterized on the curving lines, so I render it....now its crisp, but I can see a one pixel white line around the graphic!

This shows on both my broadcast monitor and the flat screen for the client. This happens every time I choose to scale down an image with a solid color background within FCP.

I never used to get this "one pixel" line around scaled images - anyone know a fix for this?

FCP 6.0.5
2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual Dore Intel
13GB RAM
Mac OS 10.5.6
latest Quicktime, etc.
I guess I stumped the band? No answers to my post
May 01, 2009 11:06AM
Maybe no one has ever seen this before? There is a weird one pixel white line around my my white matte background and JPEG graphic.
Re: I guess I stumped the band? No answers to my post
May 01, 2009 11:20AM
Could you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?
May 01, 2009 02:10PM
Hi Tom,

That's part of the problem - it only shows up on my broadcast monitor and the LCD for the client, not on the computer LCD's (Dell 2407WFP) in Final Cut.

I'll try and post a digital shot of the broadcast monitor - its quite obvious on the screen.
May 01, 2009 04:46PM
> it only shows up on my broadcast monitor and the LCD for the client, not on the computer
> LCD's (Dell 2407WFP) in Final Cut.

I've seen this plenty of times. There are a few tricks I do to get around it:

1. Use a Soft Edges or Mask Shape filter to soften the borders;
2. Instead of using a Color Matte to fill in the background, I use a version of the exact same graphic underneath;
3. Crop all sides by one or two pixels.

www.derekmok.com
May 01, 2009 06:02PM
Hi Derek,

I'll give that a try - here is the iDisk URL of an image taken off my broadcast monitor - I have enhanced the contrast so the white line is more visible - but believe me, in real life its plain to see.

May 02, 2009 08:47AM
Your image in't coming through. The link is not correctly posted.
May 02, 2009 11:50AM
Sorry about that - try this one:

[www.sendthisfile.com]
May 02, 2009 12:07PM
Derek, the Soft Edges did the trick! Thanks very much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics