Blacking tapes without Final Cut

Posted by jamesnw 
Blacking tapes without Final Cut
June 09, 2009 01:14PM
I have the lucky job of blacking Beta tapes... and we go through about 100/month. Currently, I'm using FCP's Edit to Tape to do this, which ties up the machine. I'm looking around for ways to black without tying up the machine.

Any good ideas?

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
Re: Blacking tapes without Final Cut
June 09, 2009 01:17PM
What kind of deck exactly? The conventional way is to (I'm doing this from memory, so forgive me) route or patch house black to the deck, set TC to INT and PRESET, set VITC to on, dial in 00:59:00:00 and hit record and play together. Exactly which combination of buttons you need to mash depends on the VTR.

June 09, 2009 01:51PM
You don't use the computer to black tapes. Like Jeff iterates, patch black to the deck, set the timecode to 00;58;30 (my preference - habit) & hit record & play & walk away. Check the manual for your deck for specifics. No computer needed.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 09, 2009 01:54PM
It's a Sony UVW-1800. I had tried a couple different ways of doing what you suggest awhile back, and came to the conclusion it didn't work on our set up... but I just did a tape and it seems to have worked. This will definitely come in very handy. I think I just needed someone to confirm that yes, this is possible.

Yeah, when I started here, they told me to do it using FCP... but this is much better.

Thanks!
June 09, 2009 02:00PM

Yeah, when I started here, they told me to do it using FCP...

Always consider the source winking smiley Some places have been doing things the same way for so long they don't know any other way and don't feel the need to change. Doesn't mean the way they have been doing it was the best way.

June 09, 2009 03:36PM
Do need to perform Insert Editing for a special reason?
Black the tape for about 10", that's enough for the Pre-Roll, and them perform an Assemble Edit Mode.

Example:

Set you Deck to 09:57:50:00 with a black input and record about 13 seconds
In your FCP set your timeline to start at 09:58:00:00 with Bars and Tone during 1:30:00 and the rest of elements ending at 09:59:57:00. At 10:00:00:00 start the show and leave a slug after.

With Edit to Tape use Assemble Mode and start yoour recording at 09:58:00:00.

Don't forget to turn the TC on the to regen

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
June 09, 2009 03:41PM
We're doing Assemble edits, but we're under the impression that it's better to black the whole tape (playback stability, less glitches, even exercising the tape). Or is this something that is no longer necessary?

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
June 09, 2009 03:46PM
That was needed with Linear Editing and some old Non-Linear-Editors.

Perform Assemble Edits, that way you do need to rewind and Re-Record again, also it reduces the risk of Drop-Outs phisically on the tape

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
June 09, 2009 03:47PM
You are blacking the whole tape then going back in and assembling?

WHY?

MAN, that's old thinking. Blacking is for inserting. Might as well just black a few minutes of the top then assemble away all the way through. Just add 30 seconds of black to every layoff so you have something to grab onto for the next assemble.

June 09, 2009 04:07PM
I have join the assemble on clean tape crowd. Blacking for linear edit really speeds up that classic work flow. To layoff shows from FCP?

On the other hand as a good union man...
June 09, 2009 05:00PM
Post-Roll Broadcast specs is 30"

After the programme you must leave 30 seconds of Black.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
June 09, 2009 05:30PM
Hmm, interesting. This could save us a lot of time...

FWIW, these are Broadcast masters- we make a timeline with bars, all the spots and then assemble that sequence to tape, with either slug at the end or extra black set in the Mastering Settings. We only edit once to the tape, and then it's QC'd and out the door.
June 09, 2009 06:52PM
> Might as well just black a few minutes of the top then assemble away all the way through

I black only about 10-12 secs, then assemble through.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 09, 2009 09:52PM

FWIW, these are Broadcast masters- we make a timeline with bars, all the spots and then assemble that sequence to tape, with either slug at the end or extra black set in the Mastering Settings. We only edit once to the tape, and then it's QC'd and out the door.

Right...no need for blacking tape. Like I said earlier...a little black at the top to grab onto and just assemble the whole timeline to tape. We used to blacken our tapes years ago because we inserted all our spots on one master and they were Telestreamed from that master to the stations.

June 10, 2009 02:37AM
Me too. I black 30 seconds at the head, cause that's the most vulnerable part of the tape near the spool, then assemble with 50 seconds of black between to give myself plenty of room for 30 second breaks when I add the next show.

For me blacking is a waste of time unless you're covering sensitive footage, or want an entire clean tape from a pre-used, in which case I'd bulk erase anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics