OT: Camera

Posted by xavpil 
Re: OT: Camera
June 29, 2009 07:26AM
That is what is so impressive about this camera, manual focus, manual WB and manual audio levels. They are finally getting it that even consumers want at least the option to manually control the camera in certain situations.

I propose that with enough talent, a knowledge of shooting and lighting and a good subject, these little cameras could be all that most HMC150/XA-H1 level users would ever need for most shoots at less than 1/3 of the cost. Sure you need a good tripod, XLR adapter and perhaps an accessory W/A lens but these cams have all of the good stuff that most low end pros even need.

Dan
June 29, 2009 03:15PM
That little wheel isn't the only place. You can manually focus using the joystick on the monitor - which is quicker & more precise IMHO because it's right on your thumb and you don't have to reach around to twist the knob on the bottom front.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 29, 2009 04:02PM
Nice tip, Joey!!

Hmmm... aging A1U...

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 29, 2009 04:09PM
I hear you Loren. I still have my HDR-HC1. Haven't the heart to dump it. I have fallen in love with the "NIGHTVISION" option!! I am keeping it as my resident HDV deck.

June 29, 2009 04:58PM
Light and Motion just started to ship the housing for the Canon. Great housing with an excellent monitor for critical focus.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 29, 2009 05:24PM
Steve Douglas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Light and Motion just started to ship the housing
> for the Canon.
> Steve

Hey Steve, what's "light and motion"?
June 29, 2009 05:26PM
Light & Motion Industries. They make underwater camera housings.

June 29, 2009 05:28PM
thx
June 29, 2009 06:16PM
I didn't post this because it's almost $4000 for an underwater housing (very specialized market). WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT POSTS PICS & LINKS? A little help, folks smiling smiley

[www.uwimaging.com]

June 29, 2009 06:45PM
You asked for it, Joey

DXA-2s Compact Audio Adapter - If you need XLR ports:

I had a bigger image of it but it was waaay too big smiling smiley
June 29, 2009 07:07PM
NICE, Russ...perfect!

June 29, 2009 07:12PM
I was just reading an ad about this in one of the magazines. Has anyone used them and have an opinion?
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
July 02, 2009 09:52AM
What do you think of the Sony - 12.1MP Handycam High-Definition Camcorder w/120GB compared to the Canon. They are the same price. Someone told me that the Sony picture quality was better. What are your thoughts?

[www.bestbuy.com]
July 02, 2009 12:29PM
Looks good. Don't know anything about it. The only thing I know that I don't like about the Sony...hard drive = no thanks. You will hear the HD in the audio as well. Canon has no moving internal parts (except for zoom lens) so is quiet as a mouse.

I don't know who told you it "looks better" because the specs say the Sony is a 1/2.9" ClearVID CMOS image sensor with 6 total megapixels and the Canon is 1/2.6-inch CMOS, RGB Prmary Color Filter with approx. 8.59 Megapixels.

Don't listen to everything you hear from everyone. Do your own research / compare sample footage & stills / make an informed decision.

July 05, 2009 03:50PM
Joey,

The only HoodLoupe that I found like the one you use is the one for 3.0 camcorder monitors. How does yours fix on that 2.7 monitor?

thanks,
July 05, 2009 09:20PM
I don't use one. I referenced a pic I found using GOOGLE (which is an Editor / Designer / shooter's best friend, btw). Hey...I can't do ALL the work, man eye rolling smiley

July 06, 2009 08:46AM
Okay... smoking smiley
July 06, 2009 02:36PM
An update to my Canon Vixia HF S10 postings:

I have been speaking directly with Canon Tech Support and Canon Pre-Sales to try to nail down a shortfall in their manufacturing and shake some trees. These HF S10 cameras are hot and selling like bottled water in the desert...so it seems that Canon wasn't expecting this as well as the more-than-brisk sales of their other new units that use the same model batteries...so guess what = the BP-827 extended life batteries are on backorder EVERYWHERE except for the Canon website where they are listed as "in-stock" and $60.00 more than everywhere else (listed at $190.00 each):

[estore.usa.canon.com]

I was so furious that I contacted Canon USA HQ and tried to nail down an approximate ship date for vendors to expect backordered batteries to fill orders. I ordered 2 from Amazon 3 weeks ago (at $134.90 each) and I am still waiting...

hot smiley

July 06, 2009 05:12PM
Hey thanks for posting your update about the Canon Vixia HF S10. That s___s about waiting that long for the batteries... and you are still waiting! I wonder if the camera is going to be backordered if I do order one. I'm thinking of getting the HF S100 model anyway. I'm getting close to deciding.
July 06, 2009 05:45PM
I just checked Amazon. There price on the BP-827 batteries are $184.08 (Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks).

I would say Canon and Amazon lost a potential camera sale... oh, well moody smiley
July 07, 2009 11:28AM
I guess the other question should be, are the 3rd party batteries as good as the Canon factory ones ?
July 07, 2009 12:37PM
NO, they are NOT...which is why the OEM batteries are all sold out everywhere. 3rd party batteries DO NOT work with Canon chargers and do not tell you how much time is left on the monitor (they are not intelligent). They do not hold a charge as long either.

I just bought a BP-809 from B&H Photo for $58.00. That will hold me until the BP-827s are shipped.

July 07, 2009 06:06PM
Yeah, I thought so... thanks.
July 20, 2009 11:27AM
FOLLOW UP on my Canon HF S10 posts:

The BP-827 4 + Hour batteries are FINALLY back in stock @ Amazon and have been shipped to me today so I am guessing Canon will be replenishing all the vendors. I bought 2 @ $135 each. A bit pricey, but they are "intelligent" and they last longer than the 3rd party junk that does not work with Canon charging units.

If some of you are looking at this camera...I took the camera to EPCOT this week. Here are a few stills - they are pretty impressive for a video camera (keep in mind the full size stills are more than 3 times LARGER - 8 MP / 3264x2456):

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics