WD Firewire Drive won't mount

Posted by rpearlster 
WD Firewire Drive won't mount
August 10, 2009 05:42PM
Hi,

My 500 GB WD Mybook suddenly decided not to mount for an unknown reason. The drive appears in the system profiler and in Disk Utility. I did a repair on the disk and Disk Utility says it appears to be OK. When I mount it through DU it says "will not mount, try to repair". Which I do to no avail.

Any way I can fix this? There's a lot on this drive unfortunately (I now have to back up my backups.)

thanks,
rachel pearl
Re: WD Firewire Drive won't mount
August 10, 2009 08:42PM
try restarting the computer in safe mode (think you hold the shift key down) and see if it mounts

also try using a utility (FREE) like ONYX to clean all files - sometimes that helps

Might also want to try diskwarrior
August 11, 2009 03:32AM
Disk Warrior

The last hope...

Then ditch the WDs..

www.strypesinpost.com
August 11, 2009 02:37PM
Those MyBooks are the worst at mounting.
1. Disconnect all plugs
2. Connect Power
3. Allow :30 for drives to spin up
4. Connect Cable to Drive
5. Connect Cable to Computer

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 11, 2009 02:55PM
I've also had luck taking the offending MyBook drive & connecting to another computer. After unmounting it on the second computer, I then reconnect it to the other machine and it mounts.

Something to do with a communication error between the machine and the drive that gets cleared up when a second computer is put into the mix.

I can ask the Technogeek how we discovered that one when he gets back, if anyone is interested.

debe
August 11, 2009 03:03PM
G,

You keep getting that Star Wars reference wrong...it's "A New Hope" and Anakin has already become Darth Vader in that chapter...grinning smiley

On Topic again:

WD (Worthless Drive) MyBooks...mount when the feel like it. You can try to power everything down, connect the drive, power it up, power up your computer, rub your belly, pat your head and hope for the best.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 12, 2009 04:16AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics