NEW FCP SOFTWARE

Posted by kjoske 
NEW FCP SOFTWARE
August 23, 2009 06:54PM
I am planning on purchasing the new FCP upgrade and I guess a new IMAC since I understand the new FCP will not work on my old IMAC. Will the new IMAC Computers with 1TB 3.06 GHZ be fast enough to render the new FCP quickly, I know that you can purchase more memory for about $900 but will it make "THAT MUCH" difference in rendering speed for FCP?
Re: NEW FCP SOFTWARE
August 23, 2009 10:46PM
your new iMac will be a lot faster than your old iMac smiling smiley

no, RAM wont make much difference in rendering speed.
more RAM will, i think, give you more RT playback.
and make your apps run a lot smoother.

i know RAM seems expensive if you look at the Apple prices,
but there are other places that sell the same RAM for half the price.
never buy RAM from Apple!

i'm in australia, so wont recommend a place.
ask around where you are.

oh, hang on....
i just noticed most new iMacs shipping with 4G of RAM
which is probably enough.

nick
August 24, 2009 12:13AM
I agree with Nick. It does depend a bit on what level and kind of work you're doing, but unless you're a heavy user composite and filter wise, the standard 4GB should be plenty.

August 24, 2009 05:04AM
What places would you recommend in Australia for RAM?

Mio
August 24, 2009 05:19AM
hi, Mio.

i've bought ram from streetwise.com

someone there helped me verify i was actually getting the right kind,
which was helpful.

if you're in melbourne,
they can be same or next day delivery.

another great resource is Proton digital
[www.protondigital.com.au]

all the ram they offer is ONLY for Mac.
i just had another look at their ram page,
it sure makes things simple:
[www.protondigital.com.au]

Ross, the guy who runs that is very helpful,
also fast & good deals.
based in Sydney.

cheers,
nick
August 24, 2009 07:27PM
Thanks, yes the new IMAC comes with 4G of memory, but it costs around $900 from MAC to add another 4G in order to make it 8G. I love my IMAC but memory or lack of RAM memory has been the problem, it has two rendering speeds slow and slower. I am reading the rest of the threads, I didn't realize that you can buy RAM memory for the MAC from a non-mac source. I live in the U.S. At the college bookstore where I am buying my MAC they told me that even if I purchased an additional 4G of memory from MAC they would not be able to install it for me, that I would have to have it installed at the factory -- so I will need to find a "reliable" place to put it in for me when I can afford it. We have a CompUSA that says they will put in the memory for me, has anyone had any experiences with it. I'm scared that someone will mess up my system and then we get into a "its was a bad computer" "it was his fault" situation and I end up with a new computer that does not work properly for whatever reason.
August 24, 2009 07:43PM
Installing ram into an iMac is easy.

[support.apple.com]

And why do you need 8GBs of Ram?

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 24, 2009 07:48PM
Thank you. I will give it a try.
August 24, 2009 07:58PM
You should be fine with 4G of 1066 DDR3 ram in the iMac. DDR3 ram at the moment is fairly expensive & ram is always far more expensive at an apple dealer especially apple themselves. Unless you have so much money that you don't know what to do with it, buy these items where you get the best price. Installing RAM in an iMac is easier than tying your shoelaces, so don't make the mistake of paying to have it installed. One screw to remove under the monitor. Inserting or removing the memory in the slots is similar to sticking an SD memory card in a camera or audio recorder. Take the plunge & you'll never pay anyone to insert memory for the rest of your life. The same goes for replacing hard drives.

All the best.

Dave
August 24, 2009 09:46PM
kjoske,

get your new iMac with the standard 4G or Ram.
you will LOVE how fast this new machine is!

if you feel like you want more ram (which wont drastically affect rendering speeds, i believe),
then get some and install yourself.
as Mike say's its pretty easy.
(i upped my imac ram from 2 to 4g myself.)

nick
August 27, 2009 12:14PM
Michael Horton -- Okay so from your response, I guess the answer is that I DON'T NEED 8GBS of Ram. I don't know if this is the right thread but wanted you to know all of your tutorials and things have been GREAT and really helpful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics