SmoothCam on FCP 7.0

Posted by Mike Watson 
SmoothCam on FCP 7.0
September 16, 2009 11:46AM
Hi,

Editing a :30 spot that was looking good on v6.1. Have one shot with the SmoothCam filter. Client loves it, output the spot, done. Upgrade to FCS2009. Client wants to make a change to the spot. Load the spot up, the clip with SmoothCam has terrible judder (for lack of a better term). Try everything, can't fix it.

Weird thing is that before it's rendered - when I watch the clip with the green render bar above it... looks smooth as silk. Once I render, the judder comes in.

Judder doesn't appear on the computer monitor, only on the external monitor (via Kona3). However, the external monitor is an LCD.

Doesn't look like switched fields, but have had a lot of trouble with that in the past, so lay a field shifter on the clip - no dice, doesn't fix it. Try +1 and -1. Have an engineer in here who asks if I've tried de-interlacing - lay the de-interlacer on the clip, and shazzam, judder is gone.

1) I hate problems which I do not understand, and I do not understand this.

2) I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I don't particularly want this clip de-interlaced, everything else in the spot is 60i.

Any help is welcome.
Re: SmoothCam on FCP 7.0
September 16, 2009 05:29PM
Bump...

...anyone?
September 22, 2009 07:11PM
Send the clip to Motion and try it there.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 13, 2009 02:33PM
Just got this same problem again today. Have had FCP7 installed for a month or more now, and this is with new footage and a fresh project - no "leftovers" from FCP6.

Various searches don't turn up much, so this can't be a widespread issue... perhaps an XDCam thing? Transcoding to DVCProHD has the same issue.

Any answers?
December 28, 2009 11:19AM
I just posted this same problem on Apple's discussion site, and everyone there seems to be having the same problem. Someone just replied and said it must be a bug. I have ruined several Blu-ray disc. with this same problem. I have a Mac Pro, FCP 7 and Snow Leopard. Does any one know how to get Apple to respond to this problem? I am just a hobbyist, but if I were a professional, I would be a whole lot madder. I use a Sony EX 1 for my camera.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics