Audio hookups w/FCP setup

Posted by PhillyFilmmaker 
Audio hookups w/FCP setup
October 05, 2009 12:58PM
I now have a MacBook Pro 17" with Snow Leopard.
I also have an MBox 2 Pro that came with Pro Tools 7.0.4 which I used with a Powerbook 17" and Tiger. Two KRK V4 monitors.

I want to use the KRK monitors & the MBox 2 Pro with the MacBookPro but a) Pro tools is old and doesn't work on it. b) ...

So basically I want to use my nice KRK's but the MBox2 can't work without ProTools. I have Logic Studio on the MBP but it doesn't see the MBox2. And yes, Digidesign's website and forums are not much help.

Do I have to upgrade to Pro Tools LE 8 or is there a 'cheaper option'?

And do I need a mixer?

I'm stumped on this.

Thanks!
Re: Audio hookups w/FCP setup
October 05, 2009 02:01PM
Why not get a new audio box? MOTU, Presonus, M-Audio, etc.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
October 05, 2009 02:05PM
'cause i don't want to spend another $300-700 right now? LOL
October 05, 2009 02:30PM
Well there's the rub then. These things don't fix themselves for free. Or were you hoping to get a miracle? smiling smiley

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
October 05, 2009 02:45PM
hahaha in the movie's, anything is possible.

I was hoping to still use the equipment I still have to the bitter end.
Kind of McGyver it till it was finally time to move on.
October 05, 2009 08:43PM
"Why not get a new audio box"

surely updating the software would make more sense?

how about plugging the powered speakers into your computers headphone socket?
or putting a tiny behringer mixer in between?

alternatively, you might find a 2nd hand PT8LE on ebay.

nick
October 05, 2009 09:22PM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Why not get a new audio box"
>
> surely updating the software would make more
> sense?
>
>

well yeah I would have suggested that but when someone says the company website/forums are no help I assume the hardware is way out of date and no longer supported. Otherwise I'd have just said RTFM. smiling smiley

Noah

October 06, 2009 12:00PM
wouldn't the mbox work as a standalone device using Mac OS X's built-in audio capabilities, especially with a program like soundtrack or garageband? from what i've seen, even older, generic audio devices often work just fine with ST/GB once you get them setup correctly.
October 06, 2009 12:22PM
I've an M-audio firewire solo for scratch vos and renegade indie projects. It needs drivers, and I had to upgrade them to work on an intel mac.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2009 01:08PM
I thought that the MBox would work but Soundtrack Pro and Garageband don't recognize the box.

If there's a driver out there for it to work i'd like to know. lolol.

But yes I have snow leopard on the machine so maybe that has something to do with it?

I really just want to be able to hook up my KrK V4's to the laptop.
October 06, 2009 01:18PM
>But yes I have snow leopard on the machine so maybe that has something to do with it?

That'd be my first bet. Every OS release will break something. Whether the updated drivers will be released depends on whether the hardware is still supported by the vendor. Since this is a new machine, you'll have to wait for updates, or try to install Leopard (clone your drive first) until the fix is released.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 06, 2009 07:14PM
"I really just want to be able to hook up my KrK V4's to the laptop."

headphone socket.

or:

[www.m-audio.com]
[www.zzounds.com]
[www.griffintechnology.com]

these are just google finds, not recommendations.

here's a list
[www.silentway.com]
October 07, 2009 11:16AM
The problem isn?t ProTools, and it?s not that you need ProTools to make youe Mac ?see? your M-Box2. It?s Core Audio. This is the software that links the Macs OS and any software it may be running, to your peripherals, in this case, your M-Box2.

Digi is notoriously slow with qualifying their stuff to run on whatever latest, greatest OS Mac has come up with. ( And things seem to have even slower since Avid took over ProTools, and Apple released FCP, but that could be my imagination?.) Their current statement:

?Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Support for Pro Tools ? Coming Soon
At this time, we?re working closely with Apple to bring Snow Leopard support to the entire Pro Tools® line and extended product families, and ask that all Mac users please wait to upgrade until we officially announce Snow Leopard support.?

You shouldn?t have to upgrade your ProTools to PT8 to get the latest Core Audio drivers, but may (see above: Avid, FCP, and Apple?) On the other hand, PT8?s very slick- a painless upgrade.

The headphone jack?s OK for non-critical listening, but the D/A convertors built into the Mac ain?t a patch on Digi?s.

cold comfort, but you're far from alone...
randy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics