Optimal settings for Beta SP output

Posted by janbecker 
Optimal settings for Beta SP output
October 07, 2009 07:04PM
Hi there,
I have 4 questions:

1) What would be the optimal timeline settings for output for Beta SP?
CCIR 601 NTSC (40:27)?

2) Which Audio/Video settings should I use for the project?

3) I'm going to digitize a Betacam SP tape and use it's footage in the project, what format should I use? Uncompressed or CCIR? Or something else?

4) How should I setup Motion and LiveType?

Thank you

Jan
Re: Optimal settings for Beta SP output
October 07, 2009 07:18PM
> what format should I use?

Uncompressed, but ProRes should suffice. There is no codec called CCIR. It's standard def.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 08, 2009 04:46AM
Questions 1 and 3: BetaSP is 8Bit (as opposed for example to DigiBeta = 10Bit). If you've got the drivespeed and space, capture in 8 Bit Uncompressed and edit in that. Or, what he said, capture and edit in ProRes. Works fine and with much smaller file sizes.

Question 2: Audio settings 48k 16 Bit.

Question 4: the correct Motion setting is NTSC Broadcast SD. Same for LiveType.

Clay
October 08, 2009 08:30AM
Beware you may set up tone on your timeline to -6db - and you can adjust the vu meters on your beta deck to match - and then find that you are still under or over modulated when you playback from time line -- suggest getting a good average level match from timeline to Beta deck audio first and then match your Tone settings on your timeline to reach 0 on the beta meter -- this happens to us often
October 08, 2009 09:49AM
You are actually supposed to line up 0 VU meter to -20dBs on the dBfs meter. That was the idea, but may not be the practice.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 08, 2009 03:12PM
Even at that - it's not consistent - you can set tone properly - and it will still be too low or too hot from timeline playback - my method above has yielded the best results Best - Andy
October 08, 2009 04:56PM
True. It's not called the VU (virtually useless) meter for nothing. For me, I usually route the audio through a mixer. Line up tone is first calibrated to both mixer and deck, then fine adjustments on the mixer.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 08, 2009 10:17PM
Thanks guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics