Apple New Releases

Posted by Ben King 
Apple New Releases
October 20, 2009 11:56AM
Lots of new hardware!!!

[www.apple.com]

Quad-core iMacs with up to 16GB RAM and 21.5 and 27" displays

New MacBooks & MacMinis

Oooo drool... I might have to invest in a couple of MacMinis as a Compressor/AfterEffects/Cinema 4D render farm!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Apple New Releases
October 20, 2009 12:01PM
The i5 four-proc (kind of eight-proc) chip is only available in the 27-inch "boogie board" configuration.

At $300 per processor, the new low-end mini looks like a pretty decent value for rendering.

October 20, 2009 01:21PM
Like the Magic Mouse! The new Macbook is useless for even low end video work (no FW at all or express34 slot). I don't like this "built-in battery" stuff on the new laptops either.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 20, 2009 01:25PM
I see both side of the battery argument. On the one hand, I can surely imagine a situation ? flying to Hong Kong, stuck on a desert island, whatever ? where having a spare battery would be incredibly useful. But on the other hand, the last time I owned a spare battery for my laptop was ten years and two laptops ago. So I really don't see it affecting me personally. Which as we all know by now, is all I care about. Ahem.

October 20, 2009 01:28PM

...the last time I owned a spare battery for my laptop was ten years and two laptops ago.

...that's you Jeff. If folks do a lot of remote work with their laptops (like me), you NEED 2 batteries and must be able to CHANGE THEM OUT. Built-in batteries suk...it's a corporate lock on repairs. It's like selling a car without a dipstick and oil filler cap...you have to take it to the dealer to change the oil for $1000. SHAME ON APPLE for this ridiculous feature.

Sorry...this pi$$es me off.

October 20, 2009 01:35PM
Still rocking a 15" 2.8 MBPro with removable battery and EC slot, last one they made in this config. I expect to be using this one for a LONG time.

JK

October 20, 2009 01:40PM
I have to say after nearly 2 years I needed to replace my MBP battery - but I still use the second on occasion when away from home and not near a power outlet!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 20, 2009 01:45PM
Just in case anybody out there isn't already aware: Replacing the battery in a current-model MacBook Pro is approximately equivalent to buying a replacement battery for an older MacBook Pro. It costs $129 for the 15" model, if I remember right, and is done for you while-you-wait at an Apple Store. You have to make an appointment in advance, obviously, and it takes a few minutes at the store, but it's not like it's a gianormous undertaking either.

The benefit, of course, is that the battery you're replacing gets disposed of in an environmentally safe way, as opposed to ending up in your trash can or stuffed in a box at the top of your hall closet.

October 20, 2009 01:49PM
I am all for being environmentally friendly, but store replacement doesn't help you when you are on a train or plane with no power port and your battery dies.

Suks no matter how you spin it.

October 20, 2009 01:49PM
Okay, Joe.

October 20, 2009 01:52PM
Thank you Jeff (and Cheers Ben for backing me up grinning smiley).

October 20, 2009 02:23PM
Mac Minis make great media servers for the home- sorry Apple TV...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
October 20, 2009 05:20PM
When will the day come, when Apple installs, Blue-ray drives?

When the Cubs win the World Series, or 12/21/2012?

Russ Andris
October 20, 2009 06:36PM
The 27" iMac can also be used as an external monitor.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately). 27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately).

That means you could have two of these monsters next to each other, use one as an external monitor for the other, and have a backup machine right there ready to roll (as you'll no doubt have to use Snow Leopard on them[!])

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
October 20, 2009 06:38PM
And its HDCP compliant meaning you can play Blu-ray DVDs on em if you get a player to hook up

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 20, 2009 07:10PM
Also with SD card slot next to DVD slot.

XDCAM fans will like that one.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
October 20, 2009 10:30PM
Alex4D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> That means you could have two of these monsters
> next to each other, use one as an external monitor
> for the other, and have a backup machine right
> there ready to roll (as you'll no doubt have to
> use Snow Leopard on them[!])

Very interesting. Only $100 more than a 30" ACD. Might be nice to have a 27" monitor that also doubles as a Qmaster node/server/whatever.

- Justin Barham -
October 21, 2009 12:07PM
>Only $100 more than a 30" ACD.

Nono. Read again. It's $100 less than an ACD, and comes with a free mac. Very very cool.

Not the pro stuff yet. I wonder what's the expected schedule on the release and if we'll get quad cores in the laptops.

I hope the mouse turns out much better than the hockey puck model.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2009 12:12PM
For better or for worse, Apple's release schedule for the Mac Pro is now largely tied to Intel's release schedule for their high-end CPUs. Consensus on the street where I live ? for whatever that's worth ? is that we'll see new Mac Pros when the Core i9 processor is available sometime in the first half of next year. It's supposed to be a big leap, as the i9 is said to be a six-core processor, as opposed to the currently shipping four-core i7 processor in the Mac Pro. So blah blah faster, blah blah 24 execution units per system, blah blah even more overkill for creative editorial than the 16-unit Mac Pro systems already are.

October 21, 2009 12:41PM

So blah blah faster, blah blah 24 execution units per system, blah blah even more overkill for creative editorial than the 16-unit Mac Pro systems already are.

I'll take it...not overkill for me in the least...sounds like exactly what I need...running 3 grafix apps / a 3D app / FCP and more all at once...rendering & editing - editing & rendering. Can't wait. In the immortal words of Veruca Salt (the little spoiled BRAT in the original "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory"winking smiley...

"I WANT IT NOW!!"

October 21, 2009 12:48PM
Laptops may go quad too. I hope they don't run into heat issues, but I do have a small industrial fan next to my kit.

[www.appleinsider.com]

Also, I hope FCP finally can take full advantage of multiple cores and access more than 4 gigs of RAM. I encoded an 11 min SD project the other day in 1 min 50 secs. I hope to see that kind of speed improvements in FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2009 12:55PM
Um...they mention 18.4-inch notebook in there...grinning smiley

October 21, 2009 12:58PM
Hell I want a 16 or 32 core MacPro with a serious GPU or set of GPUs... - more the better - even for rendering video - I save hours a week just by having a fast Mac and fast RAID.

So give me more realtime - more power!!! If nothing else the games would look awesome tongue sticking out smiley

*cough* back to work I go....

October 21, 2009 01:08PM
SCREW IT...I want a dual-proc 12 core Macbook Pro (that's right...coming early next year for the Mac Pros - Intel Xeon six-core Processors) - screw the boat anchor tower! Backpack full 'O power!!!

October 21, 2009 01:33PM
This thread reminds me of this great bit by Louis C K "Everythings Amazing & Nobodys Happy"

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 21, 2009 02:03PM
That's cool..

Okay. i wanna run my RAM on RAID 0.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2009 02:05PM
Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna install an Extended 80-Column Card in my //e. THEN you losers will see what's up.

October 21, 2009 03:13PM
I wanna pony.

October 21, 2009 03:54PM
I have pony - ponies are overrated - I want a dragon

October 21, 2009 05:55PM
Dragons bite. I wanna fire-breathing pony...with wings...and time travel abilities.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics