OT: Name Shortening shareware?

Posted by lang atwater 
OT: Name Shortening shareware?
November 18, 2009 03:43PM
Hello,
I am trying to network Mac and PC systems and backup to a 1.5 TB server. The Mac names are too long and too many. Does anyone know of software that will shorten the Mac names en mass or batched ?
Thanks very much.
Lang
Re: Name Shortening shareware?
November 18, 2009 03:50PM
Renamer4mac

[renamer.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: OT: Name Shortening shareware?
November 18, 2009 03:57PM
Name Mangler

"Never underestimate a kick to the nuts"
Bas Rutten
November 18, 2009 05:27PM
R-Name is my favorite.
November 18, 2009 06:14PM
Yeah I use R-Name but I don't think its available anymore.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 18, 2009 06:44PM

The Mac names are too long and too many.

Shortening the names would not make them less smiling smiley

Andreas
November 18, 2009 06:55PM
Depends on the file system you use on the server. I'd pick one that supports longer file names....

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
November 19, 2009 12:45AM
A literal quote from an assistant editor I've been working with on my latest show:

"I creamed myself when I tried out R-Name!"

www.derekmok.com
November 19, 2009 08:56AM
Derek,
How can I get it???? Have spent hours trrying to find on the net.
I am in 10.3.9, guess that means I need earlier version as well.
Can he attach to an email?
Thanks,
wla3@erols.com
November 19, 2009 09:19AM
> How can I get it???? Have spent hours trying to find on the net.
> I am in 10.3.9, guess that means I need earlier version as well.

Actually, you don't. R-Name is such a simple piece of software that I've used it on a PowerPC G5 Dual 2GHz running anything from Panther (10.3.9) to Tiger (10.4.11) (my home computer), to an Intel MacPro running Leopard (where I'm working right now). R-Name has worked on every Mac I've copied it to.

Here's the rub: It hasn't been available online for a while now. The links to download it on the web are all broken as far as I can tell. That's why I've got it backed up in a gazillion places.

www.derekmok.com
November 19, 2009 02:56PM
So dude! Back me up. I can not find it anywhere ! I bought 10-300meg MAXTOR OneTouch Series FW outboard drives - the sea greenish ones. Using them up over time dedicating each to different clients. They are built like tanks (literally - I have disasembled them) but they also have a fatal flaw and are crashing on me one at a time. I need to get years of work off of them onto a DOS based file server. The naming convention is stopping me from preserving my client's work. There are hundreds. maybe thousands of files that need to be transfered.
thanks, Wla3@erols.com
November 19, 2009 03:49PM
Look for an AppleScript or an AppleScript app - it's even easy to create one by yourself. Google for file rename Applescript or similar.

Andreas
November 19, 2009 04:30PM
So dude! Back/ HOOK me up! I can not find it anywhere ! I bought 10-300gig MAXTOR OneTouch Series FW outboard drives - the sea greenish ones. Using them up over time dedicating each to different clients. They are built like tanks (literally - I have disasembled them) but they also have a fatal flaw and are crashing on me one at a time. I need to get years of work off of them onto a DOS based file server. The naming convention is stopping me from preserving my client's work. There are hundreds. maybe thousands of files that need to be transfered.
thanks, Wla3@erols.com
November 19, 2009 07:49PM
R-name can be found here:

[www.box.net]
November 20, 2009 04:13AM
I use Automator within Mac OS

but there is no undo

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
December 15, 2009 05:10AM
Cheers Nick - I thought Yoichi Tagaya had stopped distributing it!

I won't be without this app - it should be made part of the OS!!!

December 16, 2009 04:07AM
hi, ben.
i think perhaps that is the case,
but it seems it can still be found out there on the internet.
it's the "time machine" of well, almost everything.

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics