SOL with ProRes 422?

Posted by DM 
DM
SOL with ProRes 422?
November 19, 2009 04:46PM
Looks like the data rate for transposing HDV from 1080i 60 to this codec is 87 Mb/sec. More that 3 x the data rate of DV.
I'm wondering if I can work with this without a raid array? Here is my setup:

MacPro dual quad core
6 gigs RAM
SATA media internal drive 1 TB
FC3 suite
Re: SOL with ProRes 422?
November 19, 2009 05:01PM
I think you mean "transcoding." And that number is far too low; 1080i60 ProRes 422 averages around 125-145 megabits per second.

DM
November 19, 2009 05:16PM
yes I did mean transcoding. Not much sleep lately. Doesn't help that I'm a musician either.... don't need to go 422 HQ but still looks like my internal drive might not be able to keep up?
November 19, 2009 05:18PM
Whether your internal drive can keep up depends entirely on, well, whether your internal drive can keep up. If you drop frames during playback, then it can't. But 20 MB/s isn't that high a data rate, so it might be able to handle one stream. Maybe even two, intermittently. Very doubtful you could do more than that, or that you could sustain that data rate without ever dropping a frame off a single drive in any case.

November 19, 2009 08:11PM
An internal SATA drive should be fine at least up to ProRes HQ.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics