HD Stop Frame Capture Advice Needed

Posted by Gary Sumlak 
HD Stop Frame Capture Advice Needed
March 10, 2010 01:49PM
I am currently capturing a lot of old film stock (8mm/Super8, 16 mm) using CaptureMate software. However, Capturemate only supports SD resolution and I would like to capture the film in HD.

Would anyone have a suggestion for similar software that would support HDV. Quicktime will capture an HDV video stream just fine, but there is no facility in QT for stop frame. Capturemate works great as it is triggered by mouse clicks. Set up a frame in the camera, click the mouse, capture the frame, move to next frame.... etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(Cross Posted on Apple FCP forums)

TIA

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Re: HD Stop Frame Capture Advice Needed
March 10, 2010 07:20PM
Without any specific knowledge of this workflow, I would think that HDV would be a really bad choice for stop frame work, since it doesn't have individual frames to speak of.

How high budget is the job? I know a bunch of people who just set up a nice projection of their 8mm and film that right off the wall with their video camera.

Re: HD Stop Frame Capture Advice Needed
March 10, 2010 07:41PM
Or just use a DSLR. A friend of a friend of mine made a delightful little stop-motion piece for his company's reel using a DSLR and a tripod a few years back. Worked great, and his workflow was as simple as loading an image sequence into whatever system he used to edit and finish it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics