Does the version of Primatte RT in Motion have "lightwrap"

Posted by harry323 
Does the version of Primatte RT in Motion have "lightwrap"
March 21, 2010 08:05PM
I don't know the first thing about Motion.

I need to learn to do some greenscreen and, since I actually own MOTION, I reckoned that the dreaded time had come to crack open the manual, figuratively speaking.

I understand - perhaps wrongly(?) that Primatte RT is considered pretty good and that it is included with the version of MOTION that comes with FCS 6.0.6.

This is a long and boring preamble to ask this simple question: Does this bundled version of Primatte RT have a "lightwrap" feature?

Any other opinions welcome.

And - yes - I know I should post this in the MOTION Forum, but you kind souls always answer irrelevant questions anyway.

Next: How do I get bloodstains out of a buffalo rug?

Best

Harry.
Re: Does the version of Primatte RT in Motion have "lightwrap"
March 21, 2010 08:13PM
Not really. It's got a spill suppression control, but it's quite primitive. Primatte RT is a very stripped-down version of Primatte. Primatte uses a very sophisticated algorithm and offers quite good controls for things like spill suppression. Primatte RT is little more than a demo, designed to be a "look how we can do real-time keying in software" thing.

Primatte is available as a plugin for Motion, Final Cut, After Effects and Media Composer from Red Giant for $499. It's extremely cheap for a relatively powerful keyer.

It's no master keyer, but hey, nothing is.

Next: How do I get bloodstains out of a buffalo rug?

Buffalo blood, or human blood? Cause trust me, man. It matters.

March 22, 2010 04:04AM
Keying is one of the last things, if not the last, where Motion still has a big catch up to do compared with its competition...

The included Primatte RT keyer is very poor.

If the real McCoy: the original Primatte keyer, that Jeff pointed out for you is to expensive here is something excellent and really cheap : 99$ !

dvMatte Blast from DvGarage

Best bang for the buck
March 22, 2010 06:53AM
I've never tried to pull a key in Motion ? sooner gnaw off my own hand, personally ? but back in the day, I've pulled keys using tools that today would be considered laughably clumsy at best, completely unusable at worst.

I have no idea how this would work in Motion, but heck, if you can figure it out, give it a try. Just go through the standard operations of creating your garbage matte, core matte and edge matte. You never know; Primatte RT might be able to do what you need. You won't get a good one-button matte, but you know what? You never do anyway. That's just a myth.

The hardest part might end up being color correction, but if necessary, you can do that using the old techniques as well. It'll be more difficult, involving more hold-out mattes and manual tweaking, but it should be possible at least.

Once you've spent more than $500 of your time doing that, say "screw it" and just buy Primatte.

March 22, 2010 09:16PM
just purchased and used PHYX - we were having nightmares trying to fix some very poorly shot DV Chroma Key fotage (uneven background - blond hair blown out against green - you name it - it stunk.

Primatte - eh - not great
AFTER EFFECTS -- Keyer - better still not there
FCP's Keyer and BCC keyers -- nope

PHYX actually got us as close as you can get - with adding some Colorista mattes to the blown out highlights it was acceptable

PHYX is simple -- go here for demo and video

PHYX Keyer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics