Unable to Open Project File

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
Unable to Open Project File
March 28, 2010 08:58AM
Hi...I was having a lot of crashes in fcp 6.06 -- spinning disk. I trashed preferences and now when I try to open the project I get "unable to open project file"... ANY SUGGESTIONS on how to get my project to open now? I had turned off autosave, as I thought this may have been the spinning disk issue...HELP!
Re: Unable to Open Project File
March 28, 2010 09:00AM
Sounds like file corruption/auto dismounting on the drive. What kind of drives are you using and how full are they?

www.strypesinpost.com
March 28, 2010 09:01AM
Hardware problems related to storage are often noted in the system log as I/O errors. If you're getting these, you certainly have a storage problem.

March 28, 2010 09:19AM
I'm on a G-Tech-1 terrabyte. 1/2 full
March 28, 2010 09:24AM
Whenever you suspect storage as being a culprit for larger problems, I always suggest the same test. Move a copy of the project file to your system drive. Disconnect the suspected drive, including all the media for the project -- don't just turn it off, unhook the cables. Now try opening the project file from the system drive. If it opens successfully with media offline, then the problem is related to the drive. If the project still won't open, then you have larger problems embedded in either the FCP software or the project file itself, or your system drive has issues.

www.derekmok.com
March 28, 2010 09:33AM
I tried this test. Still "Unable to Open Project File"...Any other suggestions as how to try and repair this project file?
March 28, 2010 10:00AM
Are there any programs or services that may be able to help me repair this file?
March 28, 2010 10:13AM
You're pretty much stuck until you can find a Final Cut Pro system that can open the file. Try an editing setup with a higher version of FCP. If it manages to open the file, export an XML to re-form the project file on your FCP6 system.

Alternately, if trashing preferences began the problem, you can try re-installing your copy of FCP. We can't rule out that it's software corruption, rather than the actual project file being corrupted. Both are possible at this juncture.

Do any other project files open successfully on this machine? Do they behave differently -- ie. without the Spinning Beachball?

Yeah, turning off Autosave and not having a manual backup protocol in place...not the brightest move. Basically it's editing suicide.

www.derekmok.com
March 28, 2010 04:42PM
thanks...fcp7 didn't open either...I'm wondering if there is software or a service that can "repair' the project file...
March 28, 2010 05:04PM
You might try the FCS Maintenance pack. It has a few tools in it that might solve this

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 29, 2010 12:04AM
thanks. tried it, too--no luck.

thanks for everyone's advice, though!
March 29, 2010 12:49AM
The problem isn't just the project file, but you need to solve the problem with the beachballing/crashes. I suspect the beachballing has something to do with your drive. Did it beachball on all projects or just the one you were on?

The project file is probably corrupted. Does the last autosaved version launch?

But let's go back to basics. Trash your FCP preferences.

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
March 29, 2010 03:32AM
Beachballed on all projects. Just reinstalled fcp...Last autosaved version DOES launch, but it was pretty old one...Trashed FCP preferences, again..(This was when the problem began, after trashing preferences...)
March 29, 2010 03:39AM
Question is: If the file is corrupted, is there any fix for that?
March 29, 2010 03:49AM
davidblumenfeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question is: If the file is corrupted, is there
> any fix for that?

If you can find a data recovery expert who specializes in salvaging Final Cut Pro projects, you may be in luck. However, Apple makes this very difficult by not publishing the FCP project file format publicly, so such experts will be few and far between, if they even exist at all.

In short: if the data in the file is corrupt, you're probably out of luck. But that error message can be caused by lots of things and the data may be just fine. It's worth sending the file to someone else to see if it opens on their machine.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 29, 2010 04:01AM
David

Jon's FCS Maintenance pack be able to repair it.

Please chime in Jon if you think it might help - not sure if you pointed it out already

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

There is a free-trial version available.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 29, 2010 04:03AM
Good idea, Jon. I'm in Israel and not so many fcp people here...If anyone out there willing to try to open the file for me...PLEASE email me to david@blumenfeld.com and I'll send back the file....thanks!

db
March 29, 2010 04:04AM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David
>
> Jon's FCS Maintenance pack be able to repair it.
>
> Please chime in Jon if you think it might help -
> not sure if you pointed it out already
>
> [www.digitalrebellion.com]
> m
>
> There is a free-trial version available.

He tried it already. It fixes metadata; it can't fix corrupt data inside the file.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 29, 2010 04:16AM
I have time this morning David - have sent you an email - zip up the fcp project file before you send it.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 29, 2010 04:42AM
Thanks Ben...on its way.
March 29, 2010 04:59AM
No joy on any of my suites sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics