Canon 5d Mark II Workflow in FCP

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
Canon 5d Mark II Workflow in FCP
May 06, 2010 11:44AM
Hi,

I am looking for a workflow in final cut pro for my new Canon 5D Mark II...I've started by converting the files to prores...edited and output. Looks great until the output, which is quite jittery...Any workflow posted here?
Re: Canon 5d Mark II Workflow in FCP
May 06, 2010 11:48AM
Can you provide more details? Specifically, what framerate/frame size did you shoot at, what format did you convert it to, how are you outputting your files and what are you outputting to?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 06, 2010 11:54AM
Hello
There is a free plugin for FCP that allows you to log and transfer and it auto converts to pro res twice the speed of Compressor link below.

Derek

[software.canon-europe.com]
May 06, 2010 11:55AM
Hello
See the post below about 7D and 5D I've posted a download link there.

derek
May 06, 2010 12:10PM
Thanks guys. I shot at 25P (PAL) at 1920x1080. I converted to Prores422 using MPEG Streamclip. (I had transferred the files to a hard drive and the plugin didn't work, as I understand I needed to transfer ALL the files, and I only transferred the .MOVs and the THMs.) I edited the piece in final cut pro, and then output using a few options: Compressor and selfcontained quicktime Movie...It all looks jumpy...OK when viewing in fcp sequence, but jumpy after output.
May 06, 2010 12:13PM
Hmm... Select a clip in the timeline, hit option 9. What does it say for field settings?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 06, 2010 12:19PM
Field Dominance is Upper (Odd)
May 06, 2010 12:32PM
It should all be set to "none", so should the sequence. How are you monitoring your sequence? Via an external monitor or *god forbid* only the FCP canvas? Try changing one of the clips to "none", import that into a fresh sequence, which is also set to "none", then export it and see if it still looks jumpy.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 06, 2010 12:49PM
tried that. Still jumpy - 2 monitors...anything else to try?
May 06, 2010 05:28PM
I know this might be silly, but when you export a self-contained quicktime movie, try selecting "recompress all frames" especially if you've played with the field order in Final Cut.

Had a similar problem and that solution fixed it for me...

----------------
"What do you mean there's no undo?"

Matthew Celia
matt@fcpguru.com
www.fcpguru.com
May 06, 2010 08:31PM
But recompressing all frames will drop a generation and be an unnecessary step if you rendered at full resolution to begin with.

When you say two monitors, do you mean two computer monitors, or two broadcast (TV) monitors? What were your sequence settings for the cut?

May 08, 2010 03:32PM
OK -- I brought in the files, again, this time using the e-1 rather then mpeg streamclip and it's running smoother now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics