> sharp codecs, media management that makes Apple
> shiver, makes Avid jealous, and Adobe hide. And
> it interoperates with all Adobe products, and
> Apple products. And will edit any codec you throw
> at it. And make it look as good as their own
> codecs, without any rendering.
>
> Oh, and they are buying FCP from Apple, and Media
> Composer from Avid, and making them EOL.
Re: (Rumor?) Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers
May 19, 2010 04:32PM
Shane got it backwards. Apple is buying Media100 and it's going to run on an iPad.

BTW CNET gave the rumor a couple of inches and quotes Bill Evans saying the next version will be "awesome"
[news.cnet.com]
There's nothing a like a good ugly rumor to actually get Apple to state officially that "awesome" is the word. At least it's not "iAwesome"

We would never have known this without the AppleInsider rumor, now would we?

I'm waiting for the screenshots on Gizmodo coming next week.

Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I heard that too. Read it on the internet. So you
> know it's true.
May 19, 2010 04:32PM
Apple responds to Shane Ross

[news.cnet.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 19, 2010 04:35PM
it IS looking more and more like the next version of FCS will be named "Final Cut Studio Awesome" I'd buy that.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 19, 2010 05:48PM
To be honest it's not the rumors that make me wonder about the FCS future......

It's two things....

1. Shake
2. DVD Studio Pro (basically not updated for years.....and no Blu Ray)
Refuted by Apple !! Re: (Rumor?) Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers
May 19, 2010 06:18PM
This Has been Refuted by Apple today.
[www.macworld.com]

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 19, 2010 07:22PM
>it IS looking more and more like the next version of FCS will be named "Final Cut Studio Awesome"

Fck (Final Cut Kickass). I like that one better.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 19, 2010 07:25PM
How about Final Unlimited Cut Kickass? Oh, wait...

www.derekmok.com
May 19, 2010 07:30PM
We got to get Joey to make up a "spit take smiley."

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 19, 2010 07:47PM
So that whole rumor seems to have gone full circle--AppleInsider getting a ton of unwarranted hits in the process. Avid and Adobe lapping it up I'm sure.

Fortunately these days there are enough good, affordable editing options out there that it's hard to get worked up too much about about a single vendor changing direction (or actually not changing direction.) That's due of course to FCP upping the ante a few years back.

- Justin Barham -
May 19, 2010 08:02PM
All I know is now I have to decide whether to invest in a new RAID or wait to upgrade FCP to KickAss instead..

I really hope it is kickass. I swear I've been thinking of adding a copy of Premiere here for some of the features FCP doesn't have.

May 19, 2010 08:17PM
Well all signs point to "FCS Awesome" and not KickAss I'm afraid.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 19, 2010 08:36PM
Either way, it's going to be a whopper.

- Justin Barham -
May 19, 2010 08:54PM
Awesome, Whopper, Kickass. Any of those would do. I love FCP. I mean, really, I do. I use it and teach it and LOVE what I can do with it, but I'm getting a bit of 'grass is greener' syndrome with the Adobe products these days.

May 19, 2010 09:16PM
I have this theory that FCP is going through a tortured upgrade process not dissimilar from the history of OS X, with false starts and changed directions. Mind you, I have no evidence whatsoever to support this theory.

- Justin Barham -
May 19, 2010 10:05PM
Ya'll just have to be patient. Just let the process work.

If you have the money add Adobe and/or Avid to your tool set. You should know them anyway. No one is switching from FCP to Adobe or Avid, at least no one I know. And I know a lot of people. But many are adding Adobe and Avid simply becuase they can do some things you need them to do. Thats a good thing. We will be showing off Avid MC5 at the June lafcpug meeting. We showed off CS5 at the April one. Doesn't mean we are changing our name or switching or are even impatient. We are just showing what else is out there. And what is out there is good.

I've said this before and will say it again. lafcpug is all about helping you tell your stories. We don't care what tool you use, it just so happens we use FCP and it's FCP we can help you with.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 20, 2010 12:21AM
>I've been thinking of adding a copy of Premiere here for some of the features FCP doesn't have

I'm quite curious... What is in the new Premiere CS5? Besides being 64 bit (access to more memory), the audio transcribing feature and the mercury playback engine?

Because I don't really see much in the mercury playback engine besides the ability to cut 4K RED rushes and perhaps AVC-Intra more easily. Effects is a totally different area, and unless the effect runs off the GPU, the Mercury playback engine won't do that much as far as render speeds is concerned.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 20, 2010 07:25AM
How about
Final Kick Ass Pro?
May 20, 2010 07:41AM
How about "Chuck Norris Edit Pro" I think that sums up awesome, kick a$$, and beyond.
May 20, 2010 08:44AM
...I was wondering when Mr Norris was going to make an appearance on this thread!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 20, 2010 09:49AM
Final Unlimited Cut Kicka$$ - International Team

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 20, 2010 07:20PM
>>What is in the new Premiere CS5? Besides being 64 bit (access to more memory), the audio transcribing feature and the mercury playback engine? <<

Um, the fact that it's 64 bit, and has the audio transcribing feature? We could save hundreds of hours with that.

May 20, 2010 07:42PM
You should look into "Get" for FCP. We are showing it at lafcpug next week.

[www.getphonetic.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 20, 2010 07:50PM
Yeah I saw that - looks amazing, but it's really sort of a 'post' script thing - transcribing interviews pre-script means we have no idea what to 'get' yet.

But certainly, plug-ins like Get are a big incentive to stay with FCP. Not that I am seriously considering dumping FCP anytime soon, just willing more features into the new release.

May 20, 2010 07:57PM
Looks interesting...but justifying $500.00 for a glorified "Adobe Bridge"??? It's only good for clips with WORDS in them. I can see this helping folks with hundreds and thousands of "talking heads" clips.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 20, 2010 08:03PM
To be honest and I've not tried CS5 yet but the audio transciption thing just does not work very well and sometimes not at all. I mean if there is any ambient noise it really scrrews with the transcription. If the speaker is Aussie I can't imagine what will be transcribed. Well yes I can, but I wont make fun of you Jude.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 20, 2010 08:14PM
I've seen it at work on some aussie stuff and it got about 85% correct. So ner tongue sticking out smiley But yeah, it's grass is greener stuff.

May 20, 2010 09:13PM
Has anyone used Dragon Dictation on the Iphone - it's amazingly accurate with a wide range of voices and speech patterns - yet Mac Speach (the desktop version) only works if you train it with your voice -- wish they'd put the i phone technology in a voice recognition laptop program -- the bane of our existence logging tapes
May 20, 2010 09:14PM
I would love to know what you're doing to get "amazingly accurate" results with Dragon. I tried it on my iPad (I was on an app-trying binge the first day with it) and it was rubbish for me.

May 20, 2010 11:06PM
use it on my i phone - speak clearly and slowly (and sometimes just blurt it out) you can say comma, exclamation point etc..and it puts the punctuation in -- works great for me - but then I am a professional voice over guy too -so maybe that makes a difference :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics