Matching 7D to Sony Z1U footage

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Matching 7D to Sony Z1U footage
June 24, 2010 04:41PM
I have a situation here where the footage is 95% Sony Z1U and 5% Canon 7D.

I need to get the 7D to match the Sony footage as close as possible...realizing that the Sony is 1080i60 and the Canon is 1080p30.

Is there a way to get the 7D footage to match the Sony footage without looking too out of place?

Thanks!
Casey Petersen
Re: Matching 7D to Sony Z1U footage
June 24, 2010 04:51PM
Match how? Mostly likely you'll have to color correct the shots and perhaps look at blurring and grain. One of the biggest problem may be the apparently differences in depth of field and it would take serious work to fake that well.

All the best,

Tom
June 25, 2010 09:22AM
Mostly trying to get the footage to look alike from a frame rate and progressive/interlaced standpoint. I need the footage from the 7D to look interlaced, basically.

Casey
June 25, 2010 09:27AM
If you put it in an HDV sequence you'll have to render it and it will render as interlaced.

All the best,

Tom
June 25, 2010 09:27AM
Unless you shoot interlaced, you won't get it to look interlaced. You can shoot 720p on that camera, 60fps. THAT looks interlaced.

This is something that you should have taken note of BEFORE you shot. That the Canon shoots progressive video only.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 25, 2010 09:31AM
We weren't planning on mixing them originally, but we had a camera problem (operator, more like!) and we need to use the footage to cover that.
June 25, 2010 11:41AM
Ah. Well, the Canon DSLRs are progressive only. Trying to make that footage appear "interlaced" will only make it look bad.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 25, 2010 12:30PM
>If you put it in an HDV sequence you'll have to render it and it will render as interlaced.

Nope. It renders as interlaced only if you do a speed change on it. Otherwise, you need to convert it to interlaced in Compressor.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 25, 2010 12:42PM
You've tried this? Why would would doing it in Compressor be different?

All the best,

Tom
June 25, 2010 12:53PM
Not with HDV, as I hardly touch that format. But in SD (or HD in an SD sequence), you only get the interlaced look if speed changes and some transitions are applied.

To convert progressive footage to interlaced in Compressor, the source footage must be interpreted as progressive. If you're converting to ProRes, the frame rate must be set to "29.97" with "interlaced" set to "upper field first". Then in frame controls, set "output fields" to "upper first", and rate conversion to "best".

I'm actually glad that they haven't implemented an auto interlacing function, because FCP 6 messed up by introducing an auto-deinterlacer for interlaced clips.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 26, 2010 04:48AM
What we've done in former times was using Twixtor to create 60p sequences out of the 30p sequences and from there creating 60i clips. A bit time consuming, but looks good.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics