Change of RAM

Posted by Lancastervideo 
Change of RAM
October 09, 2010 11:22AM
I just added 14 GB RAM into my computer, however when looking under the preferences in FCP it says that it is set at 100% (2 GB) How do I get FCP to recognize the added RAM?
Re: Change of RAM
October 09, 2010 11:36AM
Ahh the old FCP is a 32bit App debate...

A computer "32-bit" operating system like Tiger/Leopard (Snow Leopard is 64bit) usually allows 32-bit memory addresses; which can access 4,294,967,296 bytes of memory, or 4 gibibytes (GiB) (Binary "Gigabytes" as we know them).

and the Coup de grâce:

[support.apple.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 09, 2010 02:15PM
That article implies that switching to a 64-bit operating system would immediately allow Final Cut Pro to access the extra memory. This is not the case. Final Cut Pro would need to be recompiled as a 64-bit application and many of the older 32-bit-only APIs it uses would need to be replaced with 64-bit equivalents. This is not a trivial undertaking.

So until that occurs, the 14 GB of RAM in your computer will be useful only to applications that can address it (e.g. Adobe Premiere CS 5) or for running multiple applications simultaneously.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 09, 2010 03:23PM
Good point Jon - that goes for all 32bit Apps too

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics