HD Storage

Posted by acronan 
HD Storage
December 20, 2010 01:51PM
hi group,
what are some of the great storage devices people are using today? in particular with hd footage and multiple edit bays. i've been using facilis terrablock which uses fiber channels for enough speed. i need more storage though.
i am considering a san storage unit on a macpro...
happy holidays!

Adam Rodriguez-Cronan
BAMA Productions, Inc.
adam@bamaproductions.com
Re: HD Storage
December 20, 2010 07:42PM
I use an CalDigit HDPro connected with a fibre channel card directly to my MacPro 2009.
I have it set up as a Raid5 with 6TB of storage.

The way this is set up works is it has seven 750GB HDs witch information is striped across 6 of them and one is used for a kind of a backup. So if one drive fails you simply pull that one get a new one, install it then rebuild it to resync with others and off you go again with no information lost.

Also you can keep working with one drive down. Just get it replaced asap because if one more goes down at the same time then you are in trouble.

I have used this for the past two years.
Re: HD Storage
December 21, 2010 07:43AM
How much storage is enough? There are RAIDs qualified to run on 2TB drives these days. With a 10 or 12 bay array, you can easily have 18-20 TBs on a single array. Do you need shared storage? If so, you would need a SAN. Those things don't come cheap.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics