FCP not recognizing additional RAM inserted in Mac Pro Intel tower

Posted by sekler2001 
FCP not recognizing additional RAM inserted in Mac Pro Intel tower
January 13, 2011 02:07PM
FCP still only recognizes 3 gb that the computer originally came with. We just added 1 more gb of RAM but the computer is not recognizing it and we can't look at clips.
joan.sekler@gmail.com
cell: 310 968-6566
Re: FCP not recognizing additional RAM inserted in Mac Pro Intel tower
January 13, 2011 09:57PM
What computer is it? What OS? What kind of clips can't be viewed? How do you know FCP doesn't recognise the RAM?

January 14, 2011 01:27AM
As far as I know there is no such thing as a MacPro Tower with only 3gigs of RAM. Where did you get this tower? And how old is it?

Anyways if you really a have a MacPro Tower and are doing video editing, first thing is you need much more then 3gigs of RAM installed. Here's some tips on what you need to do and know.

1. Memory needs to be installed a certain way because the dual processor setups. You need to install two memory sticks of the same size, one in one memory slot and the other in corresponding slot, for example
Slot 1&5 / 2&6 / 3&7 and so on. Here is a link with videos on how to install memory in all different types of macpros [eshop.macsales.com].

2. You should have a minimum of 6-8gigs of RAM. OSX needs 2gigs on its own just to run smoothly. Yes FCP at this time only uses 4gigs of ram even if you had 64gigs installed. But as you open more apps at the same time each of these is going to use some of that ram therefor taking away from what ever else is open.

3. Now for FCP. You can't just load any type of video clip in a timeline even it is .mov. .mov is whats called a container. Even though its a Quicktime Movie. Whats inside can vary, for example the codec used to display the video. Some codecs are uncompressed (prores 422, 4444, animation) witch are used for editing and some are not (h.264, mp4) which would be used for showing on the web or sending over email, etc...

And there is also aspect ratio's, make sure its a proper 4:3 / 16x9 size SD or HD.

4. For clips not showing up. Can you open them in the quicktime player, if so they are working you just need to reconvert the videos to QT format that FCP understands. Also do not use AVI's this is more of a PC format.

Hope some of this helps.
January 17, 2011 04:28PM
Does anyone really know just how much ram FC can access? I've always believed it was 2.5 gigs ram while others here say 3 or 4 gigs. I only know that I am praying FC goes 64 bit so I can assess the 20 gigs of ram and 12 cores I now have.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics