Best output compression

Posted by evarita 
Best output compression
February 07, 2011 09:13PM
Hello,
I am currently cutting a movie on fcp 7 that is 1440x1080, HDV 1080i60. What compression, Pro Res 422, H264, or ????, settings, etc, should I output in order to have the best resolution for projection and laying to tape?
thanks so much.
evarita
Re: Best output compression
February 07, 2011 09:18PM
What kind of tape? What kind of projection?

February 07, 2011 09:29PM
Thanks. Theatrical dvd projection and HDV Tape.
February 07, 2011 09:41PM
Does the tape need to be played in a HDV player? If so, then it should be HDV. As for the DVD, ProRes is nice, but this will be compressed to MPEG2 by the DVD authoring software or Compressor anyway, unless you're doing Blue Ray DVDs.

February 07, 2011 09:51PM
Thanks. so then pro res LT will give me the least compression?
I guess if I choose no compression a one hour show won't fit on a dvd?
thanks again.
evarita
February 07, 2011 10:23PM
No. DVDs only play Mpeg2. So you must compress your movie to Mpeg2 in order for the DVD player to read it correctly.

You shot HDV, and I'm guessing edited in HDV. Most of the advantage of ProRes is in converting the footage before you edit. This takes it out of a long GOP format, and makes it kinder to your processor. It also helps to make graphics a bit cleaner.

So you may as well output HDV to tape for the HDV player (I'm assuming that's what will happen there) and just add the HDV version to your DVD authoring software, which will compress it to Mpeg2. This is not unusual compression. This is the completely normal path to getting one hour on a DVD.

If you WANT to, you could render in ProRes now, but I don't really think it will make a lot of difference.

February 07, 2011 10:26PM
Jude thanks so much for your help. I think I finally get it, especially since you clarified pro res for me. Thanks for that.
HDV compression it is.
enjoy the night and thanks again.
Evarita
February 15, 2011 10:50AM
Hi Jude, forget the whole tape part of the equation. It's a 64 minute movie shot on many formats but cut with a HDV 1440x1080 16:9 sequence in final cut 7. For the best resolution should I choose HD dvd H.264 90 minute for my compressor settings?
I'm wondering what settings will give me the best res for playing back on a dvd?
not blue ray, just reg. dvd.
thx
evarita
February 15, 2011 11:14AM
If you're making a DVD, you can't use any of the HD or H.264 settings. MPEG-2 is the format for DVDs.

www.derekmok.com
February 15, 2011 12:14PM
Oh. thank you. So what would you recommend for the highest resolution?
DVD Best quality, 90 minutes??
thanks so much for your help.
Evarita
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics