Applying effects to multiple clips.

Posted by limakid 
February 18, 2011 03:22PM
Hi,

I just point out one example:

I have a footage on an interview of 8 minutes.

Unfortunately, the interviewed is quite boring and I had to edit, to cut off some footage of silences. The original 8 minute clip is now divided in about 40 clips (40 times were applied the blade tool). Also, I needed correct the color because the scenary was some dark.

So...
* Should I correct the color or whatever in every single clip? 40 times?

* Should I correct the color in the original 8 minute clip one time in order to avoid to make it 40 times?

* Is there a way to apply effects to multiple clips by selecting them. I tried it in a conventional way but didn't work.

The following pic shows my sequence. Could I apply an effect to all the divided clips at one time? Thx a lot.
February 18, 2011 03:27PM
Hi,

I just point out one example:

I have a footage on an interview of 8 minutes.

Unfortunately, the interviewed is quite boring and I had to edit, to cut off some footage of silences. The original 8 minute clip is now divided in about 40 clips (40 times were applied the blade tool). Also, I needed correct the color because the scenary was some dark.

So...
* Should I correct the color or whatever in every single clip? 40 times?

* Should I correct the color in the original 8 minute clip one time in order to avoid to make it 40 times?

* Is there a way to apply effects to multiple clips by selecting them. I tried it in a conventional way but didn't work.

The following pic shows my sequence. Could I apply an effect to all the divided clips at one time? Thx a lot.

The following pic illustrates my concern.

Please check the pic in this URL.
Re: Applying effects to multiple clips.
February 18, 2011 03:56PM
There are lots of ways to do this.

1. Apply the filters to one clip. Select the clip in the timeline and Copy (APPLE-C). Select the other clips and press OPTION-V (Paste Attributes). Check "Filters" in the dialog box.

2. Apply the filters to one clip. Open that clip into the Viewer and go to the Filters tab. Select all the filters there. Go to the timeline and select the rest of the clips. Drag the filters from the Viewer and drop onto the selected clips in the timeline.

3. "Filter packing". Apply the filters to one clip and adjust parameters as desired. Create a new bin in the Browser. Open that one clip into the Viewer, go to the Filters tab so you can see the filters. Drag the filters from the Filters tab into the Browser bin. When they appear there, add numbers to the beginning of the filters' names so that they arrange themselves in the same order as you had them on the clip. For example, if you had "Color Corrector" and then "Brightness and Contrast", change the names to "01 Color Corrector" and "02 Brightness and Contrast" so that the numbers will force them to adhere to the original order of the filters (the order of filters does matter). Now for any clip where you want the effect, just drag the Browser bin and drop onto the clip. You can also select multiple clips in the timeline, drag the bin and drop onto the whole selected group.

www.derekmok.com
Re: Applying effects and Merging clips
February 20, 2011 01:18AM
Thanks a lot for the filtering issue. I did it. Now I have another silly "problem".

Is it possible to merge 2 clips of 5 seconds each one, but not in paralell. I need to join 2 video-clips on a lineal sequence in order to make one clip of 10 seconds seconds. I tried selctnig the clips but "Merge clips" option is disables, Add through edit also is disabled.

SO, could I join 2 clips of 5 seconds each one and make one clip of ten, without creating a SEQUENCE? It's just 2 clips.

Thanks a lot.
February 20, 2011 01:26AM
Why do you want to do that? Just edit them back to back in a timeline.

www.derekmok.com
February 20, 2011 10:03AM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"... edit them back to back in a timeline."

Sorry, How is that? Any video showing this?

Because I want to use (I nee use) this merged 10 seconds clip as an in-coming clip on a 8 seconds cross dissolve. An thos e clips are very similar in content.

I know that I can split with the razor blade and then undo this, but I don't find the way to do it with original short clips.

Regards.
February 20, 2011 10:33AM
> Because I want to use (I nee use) this merged 10 seconds clip as an in-coming
> clip on a 8 seconds cross dissolve. An thos e clips are very similar in content.

Nest them (OPTION-C in a timeline). Or execute the dissolve by putting the outgoing clip onto a top track and then using either a transition or the opacity overlay.

www.derekmok.com
March 08, 2011 05:06PM
Hello. I recently bought final cut pro, im learning how to use it. When im try to use a transition or effect it look like they are blocked. Can someone help me please
March 08, 2011 05:57PM
Transitions need "handles". If you're trying to do a one-second dissolve into a clip, with the dissolve beginning at the In point of the clip, if the clip has no more footage before the In point, the transition will not execute.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics