Sony FX1 importing into FCP

Posted by diverupe 
Sony FX1 importing into FCP
March 07, 2011 12:54AM
Hi guys,
I am new to FCP and have lined up some people to help but the first issue is how to get the footage from camera to Mac.
I have just invested in 2x 1TB LaCie d2 Quadras and thought that a Sony FX1 (HDR-FX1E) would daisy chain into the Mac through one of these.
The camera is FW400 linked and the LaCies are FW800 linked to the Mac. As soon as the camera is turned on, both drives disconnect from the Mac and the Mac tells me they have not been ejected correctly and need to be! Same happens with just 1 LaCie connected.
The Mac is the latest iMac and running Snow Leopard 10.6.6.
I have also got a FW400 to FW800 adaptor to try and connect the camera directly to the Mac but cannot get it to talk to FCP.
Just for info, I used camera and cable in another Mac setup and it worked ok but it was an older setup and went straight into FW400 which I can nolonger do.
Any help is appreciated.
Rupert
Re: Sony FX1 importing into FCP
March 07, 2011 06:31AM
hat is your FCP set up to capture? Does it recognise the camera at all?

March 07, 2011 01:05PM
First lacie drives are the worst to use for video editing. They are poorly made and not reliable at all. Know from experience ($2000 in hd recovery fees). Use Western digital or G-Raid.

Anyways it's fine to daisy thru a hd to capture video but better to connect direct to computer. Less links in the chain for problems.

Now for capturing in fcp. If shot using HDV you have to use the "Easy Setup" presets. And use One of the HDV settings.

1. Select an HDV choice that works with your footage.
2. Now select log and capture. And Now you will have camera control and be able to capture video thru the camera.

Also for the FW cable. It might be better to just a cable that connects to camera on one side like you already know but instead of 400 to 800 adapter. Just get one that is already an FW 800 end.

I have the same camera you do so that's how I know how to connect this camera.
March 07, 2011 04:22PM
Thank you for early responses.
I have tried a range of settings from the easy setups to the more advanced changes that can be made. I have made profiles for HDV and 1080i50
When I try to Log and Capture it tells me that the Capture Preset is not setup correctly. I have made sure the camera is outputing HDV. Another small problem is I do not have a manual for the FX1 as my original camera was stolen and I managed to replace it with the FX1 minus manual. I will look on line for an electronic version but it is an oldish camera now. It may have clues however. As I mentioned before however, this camera has downloaded to another computer.
Does anyone have a best Easy Setup Profile to start with. I am running HD and 1080i. I would love the computer to see the camera!
Is a FW400-800 converter going to prevent the camera being seen?
R
Thank you for LaCie info too. I was told to only buy LaCie!!!
March 07, 2011 09:06PM
The manual doesn't say anything about this so don't bother with that.

For the hard drive topic It really comes down to what you have had the best luck with. And for me It definitely is not Lacie. Everyone Ive had has completely crashed with in 3 months.

The FW converter could be causing something. Just keep things as simple as you can with video.

1080i50 is for PAL 1080i60 is NTSC. Even though it says 60fps it gets automatically set to 29.97.

I got it to work, by setting the "easy settings" to "HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60".
Dont' adjust anything. Just choose the preset and then log and capture.

When comes to all these New HD tape or card capturing cameras is nothing but a F$#%^ing mess. It's almost impossible to find information on how download and convert the video to your computer.

Every camera company has there own procedure and new type of video codec to go with their camera.

In my opinion I hate this F^%%$$ing HD Bullshit.
March 08, 2011 04:25PM
I am going to have to try and get the cable which I am working on and will let you know once sorted. I will update you if I can get it to work. Thanks for help.
R
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics