Shot at 24p...Airing 29.97

Posted by preditor 
Shot at 24p...Airing 29.97
May 09, 2011 05:34PM
Folks:

My project was shot 1080i/24p, but will be downconverted and delivered on DVCam, Anamorphic. I will output the full res final and use Compressor to convert to DVCam. Will there be any issue with the 24p, since DVCam is 29.97? This is for broadcast.

Thanks!

John
Re: Shot at 24p...Airing 29.97
May 09, 2011 06:47PM
Yes. 23.98 is non-drop frame timecode only, meaning that if you have a very specific total running time target to hit at 29.97 (which IS drop frame), you need to compensate for the difference in time.

I explain this issue in this blog post...and offer my solution:
[lfhd.net]

And there is a timecode calculator I mention in this blog post:
[lfhd.net]

And make sure that Compressor removes pulldown properly. You need to export tests to make sure they look right.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 12, 2011 04:17PM
Thank you for the info...I'll read your blog. I do notice a lot of aliasing when I downconvert to the format they want. They're requesting DVCam (SD), 720x480 MPEG 2. The tests I've done, outputting the commerical in full res and then dropping it into compressor using the DV Anamorphic setting, the picture softens a bit, which is fine, but the graphics have sawtoothed edges. Is there a better setting in Compressor to yield better results? The commercials will be delivered as files, with tape as a backup.

Thanks!
May 12, 2011 08:38PM
Sorry mate...that's DV for you. The format has sawtooth edges. That's why it is a horrid format...the worse SD broadcast format.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 13, 2011 01:04PM
Thanks...I also tried the same 720x480 in Uncompressed 8bit SD and DVCPro50, which was also requested by the client. They looked about the same as DV. One solution I came up with was to add the graphics after the compression, in a DV timeline which reduced the sawtoothing somewhat.

What is the best downres to SD from 1080i or 720p/60, which is mostly what I shoot in?
May 13, 2011 02:03PM
Using a capture card to output.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics