batch trim head + tail?

Posted by Tom Sanders 
batch trim head + tail?
August 15, 2011 08:46PM
Is there a way to automatically trim the head and tail of a batch of clips by a set number of frames? ie, "take 8 frames off the head and tail of 30 shots in the browser (or in the timeline)"?
Re: batch trim head + tail?
August 15, 2011 09:14PM
Are these stills? If so, you should be using the Duration command (CONTROL-D).

www.derekmok.com
August 15, 2011 09:21PM
No, it's animation with handles.
August 15, 2011 09:55PM
If they are animation, and if each piece's timecode begins with 00:00:00:00, you can at least adjust the In points in the Browser by clicking on one, entering the value without handles (eg. "00000008"winking smiley, Copying that, and then Pasting onto the In field of every clip afterwards.

With each clip a different length, I don't think there's a fast way to do the Out points. You could enter numbers into the Out field ("-8"winking smiley, but that's going to be a lot more awkward than doing it in the timeline. Just use the Ripple tool after putting the clip into the timeline.

www.derekmok.com
August 15, 2011 10:50PM
If the clips are all the same length, to trim the tails you could select them all on the timeline and right click, then change the duration to eight frames less than they are currently - or possibly nine frames less, since it seems to miss the mark by one frame - and then hit OK. This will trim the clip from the head, so you would lose the last eight frames of all the selected clips.

Like I said though, experiment with whether to use 7, 8 or 9 frames, as there is some discrepancy.

August 15, 2011 11:31PM
if it's just 30clips, then i'd say do it manually,
if you have 30 clips coming in every day for a long while, then i'd definitely automate this with Quickkeys or similar.

ok, im thinking of a quick way to do a batch in the timeline, NOT for Quickkeys automation:

drop all you clips into the timeline
select all and move fwd 8f

now open slug, make it 16 frames, (tab, 16) and place it over the head of the first clip.
copy it
arrow key down to the next clip and paste,
arrow down, paste etc etc etc

select the entire lot of 16fr slugs,
move back 8fr
hold shift, drag down
delete.

========== similar but different ========

edit all clips to timeline
move all 8fr
open text (better than slug as it's only got V, so no need to worry about audio tracks)
make it 16fr
set V2 as target
edit, down arrow, edit down arrow.
select all text, move back 8fr
drag down, delete

you can tidy up the timeline by parking at heaad, dragging all into the canvas / overwrite window,
then clean up the end

nick
August 16, 2011 06:59PM
Pure genius, Nick.

As I was started following your instructions, I was shaking my head... "What is he thinking?"

Then, wammo! It's perfect.

Thanks.

- Tom
August 16, 2011 07:25PM
thanks, Tom
glad to be of service smiling smiley

nm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics