Making a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) from FCP

Posted by Elvis Cruz 
Making a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) from FCP
August 16, 2011 11:05AM
Hello fellow FCP users,

Has anyone made a Digital Cinema Package from FCP?

Perhaps using QubeMaster Xport or Wraptor?

I'm not having much luck doing it and have a number of questions. If anyone knows of a white paper, or wishes to contact me offline, that would be great!

Thanks,

ElvisCruz@mac.com
Re: Making a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) from FCP
August 16, 2011 11:29AM
I think Quvis folded a couple of years ago. Not sure about qubemaster.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 16, 2011 11:50AM
Both companies are still alive and kicking, but support is not as accessible as it could be, hence my query...

...has anyone made a DCP from FCP using QubeMaster Xport or Wraptor?

Thanks
August 16, 2011 11:54AM
Hate to sound like a broken record but... over on Reduser there is a thread about open source tools for creating DCP. It's not easy and it requires being comfortable with command line interfaces but people over there have done it.

The standards and file formats for DCP are all open, the companies making the software were charging for the not inconsequential service of dealing with all the format and standards, not to mention the copy protection which can be a huge part of the DCP format.

Go there, search, read the long thread, enjoy.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 20, 2012 06:10AM
HI....
FCP Dosen't make DCP direct. you have to use Mac compressor for making DCP Using Qube master xport
June 20, 2012 06:16AM
HI
U can send your fcp time line direct in compressor But it's not write way in my opinion. so frist make a mov file and import in compressor.
cheers....
June 20, 2012 03:01PM
easyDCP Creator is popular in Europe. I made a pillar boxed 2048x1080 ProRes 4444 .mov file from which to generate the DCP. (The DCP is much smaller than that .mov file, about the size of a ProRes 422.)

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
June 21, 2012 06:13AM
I have used easyDCP several times and it worked (works) fine. It's easy to use; just batch export an image sequence (TGA, BMP) and the audio tracks and import those into easyDCP Creator. If you need subtitles export those from FCP as XML and use one of the third party apps available which can create DCP subtitle XMLs from FCP XMLs (like my TitleExchange).
Also ask your customer whether "Key Delivery Messages" are needed. That would be another step.
I also like their easyDCP Player(+) which allows to test DC Packages.

All the little parts you need might sum up to a reasonable amount of money to be spent. So if you don't have to do this regularly it might be more cost effective to send the image sequence and the audio tracks to a service provider.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics