Adusting 24f in FCP 7....Framerate conversion HELP
September 01, 2011 11:45AM
We have footage from 2 HVX200's that we're syncing.

The "B" cam was recorded with the following specs (unfortunately)

Frame Rate 29.976
Rec Rate 24f

V format DV100 720_59.94

Because it was recorded at 24 fps, we want to change the "speed" of the clip to match the 29.976 timeline. I reduced the speed of the clip to 80% and that seems to match up well. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any advise on how to calculate the exact percentage I should be using to match it 100%.
Re: Adusting 24f in FCP 7....Framerate conversion HELP
September 01, 2011 12:44PM
Wait, you say the frame rate of the footage is 29.97. The REC RATE is 24f...that typically means that it is 24p at 29.97. Is the footage really 23.98, or 29.97?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 01, 2011 12:57PM
"Wait, you say the frame rate of the footage is 29.97. The REC RATE is 24f...that typically means that it is 24p at 29.97. Is the footage really 23.98, or 29.97?"

Thanks for your reply.

The footage is really 29.97.

What happened was, the Bcam operator adjusted the record frame rate (where you would normally adjust for undercrank or overcrank) in the settings on the HVX200. So, for those clips (until he noticed it) there's no audio, and the footage plays back faster than normal.

It's a good thing we recorded all the audio in the Acam. Now I'm looking for a way to calculate (using the "speed" option in FCP) the best percentage so that the footage will essentially match all the other clips. I played with numbers and found 80% to be decent, but I'm not sure if that's exact or how to calculate it.

If you have any other suggestions though, I'm game.
September 01, 2011 01:21PM
Duplicate the clips and run it through Cinema Tools and batch conform them to 29.97. You may have to batch export and "recompress all frames" before CT can conform the clips.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 01, 2011 01:28PM
Haven't used cinema tools, but I'll give it a shot. I'm assuming I would be using the duplacated clips from the "log/transfer" import to do that correct? Unless CT can work with mxf files.

Thanks!
September 01, 2011 01:44PM
> I'm assuming I would be using the duplicated clips from the "log/transfer" import to
> do that correct?

Cinema Tools modifies the QuickTime movie so that it takes the same number of frames contained and plays them at a different rate.

The conform is a permanent operation. So, you need to go into Mac OS, identify the clips that need conforming and duplicate the files. I'd also recommend putting the files in a separate
folder and adding a suffix to the file name (eg. "01-01-01.mov" now becomes "01-01-01_CT_conform_23_98.mov" ) to distinguish them from the originals. Then open the modified duplicates and conform in Cinema Tools.

www.derekmok.com
September 02, 2011 10:18AM
Unfortunately, that didn't help.

The vid rate of these clips are already 29.97. The footage was recorded using undercrank at 24frames, and the clips all play at 29.97. So the issue is that I need to slow those clips down by 6 frames per second (if i'm thinking correctly) in order for it to play back at a normal speed. Any advice would help.
September 02, 2011 10:39AM
well, you know what? I did the conform to 24fps in cinema tools and imported that clip into the timeline and it worked. The only difference is that clip is 24fps and the rest are 29.976. but plays fine in the timeline. So, I guess we're good.
September 02, 2011 03:17PM
Almost. Now you've got to get the 24p stuff to 29.97 without affecting the sync. What I'll suggest is to slow it even further down to 23.976 and add a pulldown. The sync will drift slightly due to the slowdown, but that will be the only trade off

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics