Raw footage Frame Rate

Posted by rogarguello 
Raw footage Frame Rate
December 02, 2011 02:52PM
Hello,

So having an issue which i believe to be frame rate problem. I am editing a project I shot on a 5d Mark II. Full res, 24fps. I imported a couple of clips from a previous project which i shot on a different 5d which at the time could only do 30fps.

I convert all my files to Prores before editing. So I did for these new clips. when I put them on the timeline and play it, the video is gittery. Feels like its missing some frames.

During conversion the frame rate was kept to original, 30fps, so i figured i'd reconvert to 24fps but I'm still having the same issue.

The only difference is the FPS between the old and the new clips.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks for your help,

Roger
Re: Raw footage Frame Rate
December 02, 2011 02:54PM
It's not a great move. I'm on a project where they had some stuff shot on 30fps (Flip cams). I slowed the footage down to 25fps. Not too noticeable.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 02, 2011 02:57PM
So it is a frame rate issue coming down from 30 to 24?

Is there a way to smoothen the image somehow?
December 02, 2011 02:59PM
You have two frame rates. FCP doesn't do a good real time frame rate conversion so you're left with converting to a single frame rate.
Importing/Converting the the 5D footage at it's native frame rate is the first thing.

Editing in one of those frame rates is your next choice. If sync is an issue I would edit at 30 (29.97 right or was it from before when they only shot integral rates?)
That means you have to add pulldown to your 24fps stuff. You do this in a number of ways. Send it to some place that has a converter or do it yourself using something like JESDeinterlace. There are other solutions. Once the 24 stuff is converted to 29.97 you edit everything in a 29.97 ProRes sequence. Hooray for you.

Another option if the 30 or the 24 stuff is not very rate dependant is to conform it to play at the other speed. This will result in a significant speed up/slow down but depending on the footage that may work for you. You can do that in the "Conform Clip" function of Cinema Tools which came with FCP Studio 1 thru 3.

EDIT: Do a bit of reading on "Pulldown" so you have an idea on whats happening to the 24 frames to get it to 30.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!

December 02, 2011 03:26PM
Hey Andrew,

So i need to keep the project at 24fps. i tried to conform clip but nothing happens. i see it more in shots with movement.

Any other ideas maybe???
December 02, 2011 03:48PM
Why 24?

If you conform 30fps material to 24fps (29.97 to 23.976) it should appear slightly slow motion.
Conform will actually change the clip, so generally the suggested workflow is to copy the original footage and conform the copy.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 02, 2011 04:00PM
Staying in 24 because the entire project is in 24fps. I'm just trying to insert 6 quick broll shots.

When i go to MODIFY / CONFORM, nothing happens.

Does that sound right to you?
December 02, 2011 04:07PM
There is no Modify menu in Cinema Tools 4.

Cinema Tools Manual
Make sure all the clips you want to conform are in the same folder.
Choose File > Batch Conform.

In the dialog that appears, select any clip file in the folder that contains the clips you want to conform, then click Choose.

Note: You only need to select one clip file. All the clips in the folder will be conformed.

In the Batch Conform dialog, choose a frame rate from the ?Conform to? pop-up menu, then click Conform.

After the batch conform process is completed, the following occur:
The clips are conformed to the chosen frame rate and placed in a Cinema Tools?created subfolder named ?Conformed [frame rate],? where ?frame rate? is the new frame rate for the clips. A folder might be named Conformed 24.0, for example.

If Cinema Tools is unable to complete the conform process for a clip, that clip is moved into a Cinema Tools?created subfolder named Skipped. (A clip is not processed if it doesn?t contain a video track, if the frame rate is not supported, or if no codec is found for the video track.)

A text file named ?conform.log? appears at the top level of the folder. This log gives the date and time that the process started and ended, for each clip. If any problems were encountered, such as running out of disk space or memory, an error message describing the problem also appears in the log.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 02, 2011 04:41PM
Hey Andrew,

I don't have the option "BATCH CONFORM" under the file menu... i am running FCP7... that shouldn't be an issue right?
December 02, 2011 04:47PM
Cinema Tools is a separate application. It's installed in your application folder along with all the other apps that came with FCS3. Like Compressor and DVD Studio Pro.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 02, 2011 04:52PM
copy... found it... going through the motions..

thanks for walking me through this by the way
December 02, 2011 05:00PM
Andrew man... you F**** ROCK!!! That did it!! It worked perfect.

Can't thank you enough for all your help!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics