upload video

Posted by datuftee 
upload video
February 21, 2012 05:56PM
Once I make a video, how can I allow people to upload the video over the internet? Also, how do I download a video from them to edit? Thanks
Re: upload video
February 21, 2012 06:02PM
Your terminology is backwards.

Upload: Putting a video onto a website.
Download: Getting a video from a website.

Your question is very vague. Are you talking about hosting a video for general viewership, like YouTube? Or are you talking about sending a file, say to a client, or to an editor?

www.derekmok.com
February 21, 2012 06:52PM
I am talking about sending the edited file to a client and having the client send me the file. Thanks
February 21, 2012 07:18PM
Use an FTP service. YouSendIt.com is one, but they've reduced their file-size limit for free accounts to 50MB. I've switched to www.mediafire.com.

Bear in mind that transporting files on the internet is a widely misunderstood practice. You cannot send edit-friendly, high-quality files -- just one 3GB clip (which isn't that long) at online quality can take you all day. Client screeners are fine because you can compress the heck out of them, but editing files are impractical.

www.derekmok.com
February 22, 2012 04:50AM
I agree. Even at lowly DV quality, the file sizes are about 14GB an hour. HDV is about the same, and everything above that progressively bigger. Sending and receiving that over the internet is still mind-blowingly tedious.

If your footage is very short - like a few minutes long or less, it becomes more feasible, but a lot will depend on your codecs, and you don't want to get compressed footage to edit with, if at all possible.

You can bump up the size of dropbox by paying a subscription, but the person you share with also bears the brunt of the large files. I have a number of clients who fill their drop boxes with shared content and make it impossible for me to work with other clients until I clean them out.

February 22, 2012 02:01PM
And EVEN if you have super-fast Internet, doesn't mean that the other person does.
Besides for some silly reason DSL is asynchronous, which means uploads to a site are
about 1/8 the speed of downloads.

I have downloaded from some production houses near Toronto, and it took me three hours
to acquire a 720x486 h264 (which isn't even up to snuff like a ProRes) -this file was only
1.5G in size. Unless you have a dedicated T1 or T3 line between the two parties-you are at
the mercy of fluctuating internet download times!
<nag mode off>

Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree. Even at lowly DV quality, the file sizes
> are about 14GB an hour. HDV is about the same, and
> everything above that progressively bigger.
> Sending and receiving that over the internet is
> still mind-blowingly tedious.
>
> If your footage is very short - like a few minutes
> long or less, it becomes more feasible, but a lot
> will depend on your codecs, and you don't want to
> get compressed footage to edit with, if at all
> possible.
>
> You can bump up the size of dropbox by paying a
> subscription, but the person you share with also
> bears the brunt of the large files. I have a
> number of clients who fill their drop boxes with
> shared content and make it impossible for me to
> work with other clients until I clean them out.
February 22, 2012 04:58PM
Yea. Not adviseable. ADSL is pretty slow for uploading, and this uploading to the client will be the bottleneck in your pipeline if you are the host of the file. If you do not host the file on a fast enough connection and server, then you have to factor in both uploading and downloading times.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 23, 2012 09:41AM
Thanks for all your replies. They definitely answered my question!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics