sourcing from YouTube

Posted by Nick Meyers 
sourcing from YouTube
April 15, 2012 02:38AM
i've needed to grab a clip or two from YouTube recently.

the System i used to use (suggested by Strypes) was to copy the link from the activity window and paste into the Download window.

that still works sometimes, but a lot of clips are now not accessible in the activity window.
the link seems to be broken into smaller sections.

what are people doing these days to get YouTube videos?

thanks,
nick
Re: sourcing from YouTube
April 15, 2012 04:03AM
Sometimes if you keep reloading the page, it brings up an copy with the old method available. But yeah, they are tightening down a lot - many clips are now broken into streams of about 1.7MB that keep updating.

April 15, 2012 05:49AM
hi, Jude.

yes, 1.7 MB chunks is what i am seeing.
thanks for the tip, although it's not working for me yet. it's a little bit crazy the things we have to learn along the way smiling smiley

i've also just been searching for similar / duplicate clips.
& i might have to go back to simple screen cap / audio recording.

thanks again,
nick
April 15, 2012 01:41PM
I use a Safari extension called YouTube5 for videos. It's not perfect but I don't do tons of this and it works for what I need.

The youtube-mp3.org page gets you exactly what it implies, quickly.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 15, 2012 01:58PM
I have had pretty good luck with a web site called keepvid.com. I have a shortcut to it on the Safari bookmarks bar. It gets youtube and a lot of other stuff as well. Not perfect, but seems better than the activity monitor method.
April 15, 2012 07:21PM
I tried the keepvid thing the other day and it didn't work on the one I was trying to get. In the last month or so YouTube has changed from caching to streaming or something, so they only send small packets of information at a time, which none of the software seems to know how to handle. If someone does find something, I'd like to know too.

April 15, 2012 08:26PM
Jude, have you tried YouTube5?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 16, 2012 08:03PM
No, but I will. I sort of assumed because YouTube has changed the way it serves videos that nothing already around would work.

April 16, 2012 08:44PM
YouTube5 totally worked. I tested it on a video I couldn't get for love or money the other day, and it worked like a charm. Thanks Andrew!

April 16, 2012 08:55PM
I took a look... It seems like this 1.7 MB thing is a result of some auto bandwidth detection on the new Youtube player. Set it to 720p, park the playhead at the beginning of the video and copy the mp4 stream as usual.

Youtube doesn't use Flash streaming. The Daily Show uses Flash streaming...

[www.thedailyshow.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 16, 2012 09:04PM
I had something similar happen, and in my case the download just flat-out failed. In my case it happened because the playhead was moved so that the stream started playing midway through, but that caused the download to be unopenable. A reload on the internet browser fixed it.

I also wonder if it has to do with some videos where YouTube now embeds an unskippable commercial every once in a while.

www.derekmok.com
April 18, 2012 09:47AM
I use MPEG Streamclip to Open URL and convert to whatever format I'm using. Otherwise, I use the DownloadHelper plugin for Firefox to download the original mp4.

Casey
April 18, 2012 09:55AM
I've had less than consistent results with MPEG streamclip on Open URL. Some YT videos are either blocked or somehow prevented from working.

It seems YT is constantly changing the way it serves up files.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 18, 2012 10:48AM
I use FireFox and a plug-in called Download Helper. Has worked great over the years and I don't think I've ever had something not download.

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
April 23, 2012 08:11AM
Use click to flash. Hover over the top left of the video , right click and either 'download video' or 'open link in new window'. Using Safari.
April 24, 2012 12:42AM
Download Helper (MEDIA DOWNLOAD & CONVERT FIREFOX EXTENSION):

[www.downloadhelper.net]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 28, 2012 08:40PM
By the way, I sometimes use a program called iShowU HD. It's more of a recording application than a downloading application, but it's been pretty sweet for me.
April 29, 2012 05:14AM
You'll end up re-compressing the footage. Not great, but I don't like re-compressing anything.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics