Water/fluid effect filter needed

Posted by MetalGuru 
Water/fluid effect filter needed
November 05, 2012 07:11AM
Hi all, I'm currently working on a trailer restoration and I'm hoping to match the effect as seen on the text in this trailer. Can anybody help? I've tried the "Ripple" effect but it's not the same at all. Is there any other filter that will do this as closely as possible to the original?

Re: Water/fluid effect filter needed
November 05, 2012 08:26AM
you can achieve that exact effect tweaking the warp/ripple-esq filter parameters via one of the Sapphire plugins. they're not cheap but you could always do a rental,

Bluey,
November 05, 2012 11:06AM
Wow, sadly I can't afford that sort of money. All I need the effect for is this one trailer and the budget is low (as usual). Is there anything else I could use?
November 05, 2012 11:30AM
AfterEffects maybe? Good luck with it

Bluey,
November 05, 2012 11:53AM
Just downloaded a trial of Sapphire and you're right, the filter is perfect!
November 05, 2012 12:18PM
. . . they don't have watermarks or x's over their trial versions anymore? --- i knew someone once who exported the clip with the filter utilised to quicktime 'hardcoding' the effect onto the shot, as when the trial period runs out the lines or logo/watermark appear on the clip.

not sure if that would be considered ethically sound though,

Bluey,
November 05, 2012 02:29PM
Free two week trial, fully working! Perfect for me - will have a look through the rest of the filters to see if it's worth us investing in them in the future.
November 06, 2012 02:57AM
in FCP, you also have the "Wave" filter (from memory)

Saphire would no double be better, but remember to do all you can so you can still work after the 2 weeks is up!
as well as exporting your shot with the Text overlay, Export your text as Prores4444 with an Alpha Chanel so you can re-prurpose if if need be.

nick
November 06, 2012 06:15AM
I'm having a real problem with this Sapphire effect - it looks fine un-rendered, but when rendered I'm getting white sparkles around the text. I've also tried saving it as a ProRes 4444 transparent file but again I'm getting a sort of rainbow sparkling around the text. Anyone have any suggestions?

ProRes 4444:

November 06, 2012 07:39AM
Try switching to 8-bit rendering in Sequence Settings.

www.derekmok.com
November 06, 2012 07:51AM
Thank you - that's fixed the problem.

Can you advise how this affects the rendering, and how you knew it would work? I'm hoping to learn something new at the same time. tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics