Animating images

Posted by johan polhem 
Animating images
May 10, 2005 02:38AM
I am doing a project that includes both video and animated stills.
My problem is when I animated the size of an image i get these funny lines going over the image as it moves.

I tried the anti aliasing filter and it did make it look OK
but when I look at the rendered file the problem is there again.

Anyone know?
Re: Animating images
May 10, 2005 03:42AM
What is the dpi of your stills? Try reducing them to 72dpi before importing them, and make sure they are rgb.
May 10, 2005 03:42PM
ive had WAY better results animating stills in after effects then brining that movie into fcp
May 10, 2005 05:38PM
a touch of gaussian blur can help there.
if you apply it to the photo itself, rendering wont be so time consuming inFCP, but you have to commit to it.
(unless you copy the layer in PS, and blur that)
if you add the blur in FCP, then you can control when to use it and when not to.
so you can keyframe it during your move.

nick

May 10, 2005 06:43PM
Thanks guys I'll try those.

It is surprising tho how a program that claims to be so professional cannot even do something so simple as to animate a photo.

I can do it in After effects which is always perfect as i'd have to re-do the whole thing.

Thanks guys.
May 10, 2005 07:12PM
"claims to be so professional cannot even do something so simple as to animate a photo."

Who said it can't? You just can't be lazy about it because there's no such thing as a preset for photo's brought in at various resolutions.

Monitor on your external monitor like it says to in the manual and add .4 pixel gausian blur when you need to like nick says to.

Ian
May 10, 2005 07:16PM
another cure for the jaggies is FCPs flicker filter,
or the free "Blend Fileds" filter from Too Much Too Soon

[www.mattias.nu]

this does soften the image slightly, but gets rid of a lot of shimmering in fine detail areas. (and is fast to render)

it might not be the one for you as you say your issue is when the image is moving.

nick

May 10, 2005 09:24PM
Sorry that came out wrong.

I did not mean that it cant do it full stop.
Im just surprised you cant just drop it in and
move it as you see fit.

Coming from an After Effects background this is confusing.

I'll try your tips.
Tried resizing to 72 DPI did not work so I'll give the other options a go.

Thanks,
May 10, 2005 09:40PM
I Tried all of the above and it did not work.
Maybe I'm doing something stupid here.

THe image is 72 DPI.
Recommended meassures are taken.

THe image, especially where the lines in the graphic are thin (A few pixels wide) "wobble" when the graphic is being animated to scale slowly.

Surely there must be something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
May 11, 2005 10:26AM
I'll grant that AE is ton's better at motion and scaling than FCP. FCP is an editor that can do compositing. AE is a compositor that can do editing.

But the thin line dance is a function of an interlaced format.

If you've tried all the above, try Photoshop. Verion 7 and up have the Dust and scratches filter. try setting it so it just softens thin horizontal lines.

Save the pic, and take a look. If you like the solution, make the setting an action and apply it to all the project shots via an action macro.

Ian
May 28, 2005 09:11AM
filters are applied before motion, so in order to make a (my) field blender or deinterlacer work properly you have to nest the animation and apply the filter to the nest. this is an important trick to remember for several situations. good luck.

/matt

--
[www.mattias.nu]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics