A New Puzzle

Posted by Kelly Berning 
A New Puzzle
May 12, 2005 02:02PM
I am sorry if this is a topic that should be directed somewhere else, but no one else knows what I 'm talking about. I have one bay that has an Io and one that has an Kona 2. What I need to know is....Can I use Remote Desktop to avoid switching the cards when I go from digibeta to beta? In other words, can I use the Final Cut application with the kona on the mac that has the Io, using remote desktop and vice versa? Thanks so much.
Greg Kozikowski
Re: A New Puzzle
May 12, 2005 03:41PM

<<<remote desktop and vice versa?>>>

Oh, we know what you're talking about. It's just the question is a little wacky.

The IO has a very special relationship with the machine to which it's connected. It uses special FireWire hardware communications and special setups inside FCP. No, I don't think you can use the FCP on one machine to run the IO on another.

You *might* be able to run the IO Mac remotely, but you would just be pushing the buttons and saving the work as if you were sitting at the IO Mac. You wouldn't be crossing the Final Cuts--and you would still have to walk over to the IO Mac to pick up the work.

This is me listening for the argument.

Koz
May 12, 2005 07:28PM
both devices can capture both those formats, cant they?

maybe you need a patching (hardware) solution?

nick

May 12, 2005 09:01PM
I'm with these guys on why you would want to do this. Is it because the digibeta is connected to one machine and the beta to the other?

Might be easier just to run cables from one room to the other, or physically move the smaller machine when required. I don't know how long your cables can be - but it's a fair distance. If you want to keep it nice and tidy you could get a small patch panel in each room so you could just throw a switch to choose the machine to capture to.

I've no idea how capturing video over remote desktop would work. It sounds scary.
Greg Kozikowski
May 13, 2005 11:04AM

Move the digital machine. If you move the analog machine, you will start having problems with signal degeneration at long cable lengths.

You can get that with the digital machine, too, but it doesn't happen until 300 feet or so. Analog starts degenerating at 50 feet.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics