OT: More fuel on the rumor of IBM

Posted by Ian Graham 
if doc searls is speculating correctly [garage.docsearls.com] maybe our world won't implode into itself from the gravitational weight of the x86 black hole.
Michael (James)

who is buying Fcp ? not Tv stations !?! / we all know that

Final Cut is not for television, I am surprised you nedeed your dad to discover that

Final Cut is for documentary, fiction ... not factory work

maybe it'll change one day with multicam editing, I doubt it, those corporations work such " in rigid templates" that they'll stay with Pcs

(but we are out of subject)
NAB = National Association of Broadcasters [www.nab.org]

Obviously "we all know that"

Apple is a monster at NAB, overflowing back into AVID's booth and yet the "Broadcasters" are not using it. My Dad can't even get an appointment the week of NAB because all of his folks are attending NAB. They all go and come back without FCP or G5 orders... so I guess they are just window shopping Apple from a distance in Vegas?

How strange that the big TV Broadcaster's event of the year draws such huge onlookers for Apple and yet that is not even Apple's market.

I guess the event is drawing far more independents and film makers than I realized. Because the huge crowds rushing to Apples demos each day are not mainstream stations.
It's not true that stations aren't using FCP - I routinely cut FCP spots for WABC-TV New York and have done some for ABC - Nightline has used Final Cut in the field for some spots....we do work for PBS Network shows on Final Cut as well as countless corporate spots commercials etc....FCP has been behind AVID in networked solutions for a while, but they've caught up and station managment is all about the bottom line --10's of thousand for each avid seat with server or considerably less for FCP - it won't take them long to make the choice. Andy Field - ABC News, Washington.
Andy,

Thanks for the input. I only have the data in front of me. Over 40 and 0% FCP.

I'd love to hear from others like yourself report on FCP usage. Feel free to chime in anyone.
"the huge crowds rushing to Apples demos each day are not mainstream stations."

you made the point / Fcp is not a reliable broadcasting networking solution, for shows supposed to go on air soon

will it change ? some care, some don't... (at all)

But back to Intel / back to the thread / or we're gonna be flamed !

only a few hours to speculate in vain
Re: OT: More fuel on the rumor of IBM
June 05, 2005 08:42PM
This from my local user group.

ComputerWorld says the new PentiumD chips are shipping with DRM (copy protection hardware) embedded
[www.computerworld.com.au]

the inquirers says NO
[www.theinquirer.net]

Why should mac users care...wellllllll... if it isn't this old chestnut again: (being dragged out by Wired this time)

[www.wired.com]

apparently because of this:
[www.wired.com]

is it true ... well maybe Apple have traveled that platform path in the lab to test it as feasible and the hardware savings and massive increase R&D would be there though this would only, once again, lead to the speculation of Apple getting out of the desktop/laptop hardware market to concentrate on software and media delivery.

Personally I think Apple, for sure, would be wise pursuing low end home users media "digital hub" on intel bassed platforms. But with Microsoft to starting to purchase, by the truck load, PowerPC chips for their XBox 360 then this could inject new life (or at least a swift kick up the arse) in to IBM's PPC development cycle - particularly with regard to multicore chips.

Also, I use FCP to make a weekly tv show for a mainstream station. I also know of several others at rival stations here.

The reason that so many stations don't have FCP is, IMO, because the people who buy editing systems are engineers, and lots of engineers don't know macs. So engineers don't buy Macs.

A friend of mine once asked an exec who was telling the plebs about the changes coming in a few years time to the editing system if they had looked at using FCP in their tests. He said No, because he didn't like Macs. She asked if he had ever used one. He said no, because he didn't like macs. About seven of the editors at that branch of the station own and use FCP themselves.

Sunday New York Times headline: Apple Plans to Switch From I.B.M. to Intel for Chips

[nytimes.com]
I think people are having a knee-jerk reaction of fear.

Viruses/spyware/malware target the OS (or even an application such as Internet Explorer) not the hardware (or Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD et al would be capable of being infected by malware targeted at Windows).

I look at my Macs as black boxes somewhat -- video in, process, final product (DVD, tape, whatever) out. Does it matter to me if Apple switches to Intel processors? No, but I won't be buying the first generation product either. I'll wait until they've had a year or so to iron things out.

Rewrite every app from the ground up? No way. Whatever language this stuff is all written in, they'll recompile their apps for the Intel processor they target. Yes, they will need to make tweaks, etc. but a total rewrite? Come on...
June 06, 2005 08:38AM
The issue is not what hardware Apple computers run on - it's quite frankyl irrelevent, but how any transition from one type of hardware to another type is handled.

It seems that there are plenty of options and technologies with regards to running compiled apps on non-native processors without taking much of an emulation hit, so perhaps, if Apple are going this route they have something up their sleaves, so to speak.

However, instead of moving to another processor, what if Apple are moving to being processor agnostic for the OS and all software that runs on it? Then it wouldn't matter what happens in the future Apple could just pick the best hardware of the week, and everything would keep running. Perhaps it's a dream, but I reckon it's sort of possible.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
June 06, 2005 11:36AM
Since I started this mess - My 2Cents - - - -

A move to a DRM enabled chip in a video iPod or in a home media center would make sense. A decent emulator/translation software, now said to exist, would actually result in a cheaper machine. Intel has a chip to meet this demand - IBM doesn't. I have a harder time understanding a move on the top of the line if extensive SW recoding is required.

I personaly don't give a rip about the maker of the processor I use. It's the OS and work flow I care about. Sooner or later we're going to have to swallow DRM on the hardware level. I've ranted about this several times on this board, and pointed out the precurser legislation as it went through congress.

If the results to our work flow are as bone headed as the EU's hobbling of Firewire - we are in for a long and loud fight.

Whatever the announcement today - I submit the true issue - the DRM "ball" is still up in the air, and we'd better pray Holllywood paranoia and Congressional bungling don't turn it into a wrecking ball before it comes down.

Ian
Final cut has to be rewrited from the ground, anyway : Cocoa based, soon ot later

(can't even use automator)
June 06, 2005 11:53AM
Dear friends:
I don't think cost or lower prices for customers is what's behind this.
According to what I read, Apple pays less for PowerPC than what others pays for Intel. For example, a Dual G5 is today cheaper than a Dual Xeon and an iBook is cheaper than a comparable PC laptop. Apple has, unlike most PC manufacturers, good profit margins in hardware.
The Apple price comes from R&D, mostly design and custom materials, right?

Whatever is announced today, it's probably not or the "good" of current Mac users, but rather seems more like an alliance shift in a corporate war. Only 15 minutes to find out...

If you go to the PowerMac page, you'll still see the graphics showing the Dual G5 being x per cent faster than Pentiums. Are they going to remove those, like they never existed? Is this "1984"? Oceania was always at war with Eurasia?

Post Edited (06-06-05 09:54)

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
June 06, 2005 12:39PM
Looks like we will be using intel procs within a few years guys...
Apple says (on his site)

Adobe & Microsoft will follow on Intel

the Dev migration kit is 999?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics