asymetric trimming

Posted by kate 
asymetric trimming
July 06, 2005 09:57PM
Hi there,
I have just started assisting an avid editor on a project. He is asking me if there is a way to do asymetric trimming on FCP 4.5, I know FCP pretty well and to my knowledge I dont see a way of doing this, but does anyone know how to achieve this?
Many thanks!
kate
Re: asymetric trimming
July 06, 2005 10:27PM
Most important thing to show the Avid editor using FCP is the FCP Help menu. It's the entire manual. Type "asymetric trimming." The example even includes nice color pictures.

Asymmetrical Trimming With the Ripple Tool
Asymmetrical trimming allows you to simultaneously ripple edit points on clip items in different tracks in opposite directions. For example, suppose you want to extend the Out point of a video clip item by 2 seconds. If you do this by extending only the video clip item, a 2-second gap is created on other tracks. If you select the In point of clip items on other tracks and use asymmetrical trimming, you can simultaneously extend the In points of the clip items, making them start 2 seconds earlier. The result is that the video clip item is 2 seconds longer, and the audio clip items fill in the gap because they are 2 seconds longer. Asymmetrical trimming is a convenient way to create a split edit between two adjacent sequence clips, but you can also use this feature with audio-only and video-only clip items. Asymmetrical trimming can be done either in the Timeline or in the Trim Edit window.

Tip: If you are doing a lot of asymmetrical trimming, you may find it helpful to turn off linked selection by pressing Shift-L or clicking the Linked Selection button in the upper-right corner of the Timeline. For more information about linked selection, see Chapter 14, ?Linking and Editing Video and Audio in Sync,? on page 219.

To create a split edit using asymmetrical editing:
1 Select the Ripple tool.
2 Hold down the Option key, then click the Out point of a video clip to select it.
Holding down the Option key while selecting an edit point selects only that point, ignoring any other items linked to that clip.
3 Hold down the Command key, then click the In point of an adjacent audio clip. Holding down the Command key while selecting an edit point allows you to add edit points to the current selection without deselecting previously selected edit points.
4 Use the Ripple tool to trim the above selection.
The video and audio edit points move in opposite directions, creating a split edit. Audio-video synchronization is maintained in both clips.

Note: In this example, Command-clicking the In point of a stereo pair of audio clip items results in adding both audio items to the selection. You can also Option-Command-click a single audio item to add it to the selection individually, without including other audio items linked to it. This can be especially useful for clips in which many audio items are linked to a single video item in the Timeline.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
July 06, 2005 10:27PM
I hate the trim window, so I do it this way.

On the timeline click on the edge of the clip you want to adjust, then hold the option key until you see a black border around the single part of the clip you are adjusting. Then drag the clip left or right to adjust either the audio or video. If you have snapping on and the playhead parked at the frame you want to trim to, you can snap to the right frame very quickly. Of course you need space on the timeline to move into.
July 06, 2005 10:28PM
Snap tongue sticking out smiley
July 07, 2005 04:43PM
Thanks guys that was really useful!
Kate
July 07, 2005 07:47PM
And it works almost the same way as Avid! Except when it doesn't.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4.5 keytip:
Set your custom layouts by pressing
Option>Windows>Arrange>Set Custom Layout.
Access your custom layouts 1 & 2 with Shift & Option-U!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics