Master Clip

Posted by Johnny 
Master Clip
July 10, 2005 03:54PM
I'm quite new to FCP so sorry for such a simple question-

I imported my master clip that's 20 minutes long.

How do I cut out small parts of it (as in I mark in and mark out a 5 second clip from the master) and want to rename it as a separate clip in my browser.

What is happening now is that I copy and paste the same master clip and then put in my marks and when i try and name it it switches the master as well.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Johnny
Re: Master Clip
July 10, 2005 05:29PM
here's one way:

mark your in /outs in the viewer,

Modify Menu > Make Subclip, or as you'll see when you get there, Apple U.

a subclip apears in the browser ready for you to give it a name.

easy.

(read up on subclips in the manual)

cheers,
nick

July 10, 2005 07:56PM
You can also use Markers -- press 'm' in the Viewer every time you hit the first frame of a clip you want as a separate piece. Once you've done your entire master clip, select all the markers (which will appear in the Browser under your master clip), then Modify - Make Subclip.

Not a better method than the one above; just different. You have to use Apple-U less frequently with this marker method, and you don't have to put Out points, but you still have to rename the subclips one by one, and it's easier to get careless and make mistakes with the marker method.

Another editor friend of mine (former boss, actually) uses markers to transcribe parts of interviews, quotations etc. by naming the markers after certain quotations. Then when you want to to go to a marker, you can use SHIFT-up/down arrow. That saves you having to deal with subclips, but is more time-consuming when editing.
July 10, 2005 08:39PM
simply adding markers to turn into subs assumes you want *everything* on the master clip, and your breaking down is simply a matter of labeling it.

in outs are more about selecting the choiceest parts of the clip, and discarding others.

however, you CAN use markes in this way, too.
add a marker to define the start of a choice bit, then to define the END, hit Option ` (that's the key to the left of the top-row "1" )
your marker will extend, giving you a pink line, and this is what gets made into a sub clip.

markers are harder to work with than in/outs though...
it's harder to change your mind and alter their position.

speaking of finding those marker notes,
here's a handy tip:

with a clip in the viewer, control or right click in the timecode field (top right) to get a list of the clips' markers.
select one, and you go straight there.

same goes if your sequence has markers.
control or right click in the ruler at the top of the timeline, and you get a list of markers.
select one to go to it.

cheers,
nick

July 10, 2005 10:06PM
> in outs are more about selecting the choiceest parts of the clip, and discarding
> others.

That's true. But I look at sub-clipping like logging -- leave no clip undone, because it's such a pain in the neck to go back and get them later -- you know, having to figure out what you skipped and so on.

> with a clip in the viewer, control or right click in the timecode field (top right)
> to get a list of the clips' markers.
> select one, and you go straight there.

Good tip. I wonder if my friend/ex-boss knows this trick?

I'm often of the mindset that it's both an asset and a liability to be able to "fly" wherever you want all the time, though. Wading through footage is time-consuming and repetitive, but at the same time, it gives me a sense of working like the old editors. You watch stuff you don't intend, you get new ideas in the new context, and magic can happen. It's faster, more controlled and less spontaneous when we get full, unlimited random access to footage.
July 11, 2005 09:44AM
oops, almost forgot..

"master clips"

johnny,
there is a rgeat article here from Lisa B's book explaining all about how master clips and affiliate clips work...

[www.lafcpug.org]

it's recomended reading.

cheers,
nick

July 11, 2005 09:58AM
And don't forget that if you start out logging clips before you capture you may have had most of this done already and then you fine tune in and out points from there. That's assuming that you didn't do this and just captured one 20 minute clip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics