How can I hide FCP files?

Posted by Scott Taylor 
How can I hide FCP files?
August 03, 2005 03:55PM
This has befuddled me before. Running FCP 3.04 on a 800 MHz PB, 1 GB RAM.

Just got a new FW drive so I'm moving about 6 GB of scratch and render files to the new drive from the internal. I've set up the while directory structure and copied all the files there. Not having the courage to just delete everything on my internal drive just yet, I have renamed and relocated the old folders (with Finder) so that FCP can't find them and will ask me to reconnect, which I will do to the FW drive. But FCP keeps finding the old files when I start it up! Not even a hiccup. When I look at a clip's properties, it confirms that it's there under its new folder name, new location. Even sending these files to the Trash (but not emptying) doesn't fool FCP. Is there some way I can make FCP look somewhere else for its files without permanently deleting them from my internal drive first?

I've tried Reconnect Media on some clips in the Browser, and re-pointing them to the FW drive, but the clips in the Timeline still say they are from the internal drive.

Scott
Dismount the old volume from the desktop-- drag it to the trash. It'll remount when you reboot. Then Reconnect to your new render destination and make certain your Scratch Disk settings look on that drive for the future.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set your custom layouts by pressing
Option>Windows>Arrange>Set Custom Layout.
Access your custom layouts 1 & 2 with Shift & Option-U!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
"Dismount the old volume from the desktop-- drag it to the trash"

Well, that's a problem, because the "old volume" is my one and only internal drive. I did solve this by dragging the "old" files to the Trash, and FCP immediately "lost" them, so I could reconnect to the new location. I swear I have tried that before without success, so I said in my original post that it wouldn't work, but in fact it did.

Thanks for the tip, Loren.

Scott
[the "old volume" is my one and only internal drive]

*DOH* -- that didn't pop out at me. Glad something worked.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set your custom layouts by pressing
Option>Windows>Arrange>Set Custom Layout.
Access your custom layouts 1 & 2 with Shift & Option-U!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: How can I hide FCP files?
November 12, 2005 07:47PM
You can also simply click on the file in the FCP browser and use "File/Reconnect Media" to connect the point to the new files.

Ta

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics