FCP5 -> FCP4.5 via XML problems

Posted by JustinB 
FCP5 -> FCP4.5 via XML problems
August 31, 2005 07:08PM
Has anybody had any problems trying to get a project out from FCP5 into FCP4.5 via XML 1? I've been trying to do this, but when the XML is imported into FCP4.5, it only brings in the first three minutes of the sequence! I've made sure the in and outs were at the head and tail of an 85 minute show.

Hmmm. I know others have had success doing this. Any suggestions?

- Justin Barham -
Re: FCP5 -> FCP4.5 via XML problems
August 31, 2005 08:14PM
since someone is one the topic.

does the xml export take the source footage with it. or do you need to copy the original captured footage and copy into a folder with the xml file?
August 31, 2005 10:02PM
You might want to check out Nick's tutorial on this to check your steps

[www.lafcpug.org]
@ Justin
if you only got a portion of the show back into FCP4 then there is an error during XML parsing, this might be caused by incompatible filters or frame rate issues.
Try to remove the clip causing this error before exporting to XML - it's either the last one you see in the FCP4 project or that one which follows in the original timeline.
Sometimes you have to do several steps to get a project back to FCP4.

@ James
XML is just a (they call it human readable) description of a sequence or clip etc. This description contains only the path where the original media of every single clip is located - either as a file path URL or a reference to another clip.
So copying the original media into the folder with the XML, does make sense if you want to move the project to another machine, but the XML won't know about the new file locations. After you've opened the XML on another machine, every clip will be offline.

Regards
Andreas

September 01, 2005 12:52PM
Thanks Andreas. As it turns out, there was a clip in there that wouldn't cooperate. When I deleted the offending area from the sequence and did another XML all was good.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics