effect over whole timeline?

Posted by Mr. Malcolm 
effect over whole timeline?
September 24, 2005 10:48PM
Alright, I remember in Avid you could just make an edit point on the above vid track and then apply an effect within the edit points, thus creating an effect over an entire portion of your sequence.

Is there somethig similar to this in FCP?

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
Re: effect over whole timeline?
September 24, 2005 11:18PM
Either:

a) Nest the sequence and drop on the effect
b) add the effect to one clip, highlight the clip and go EDIT>COPY. Highlight ALL YOU OTHER CLIPS and go EDIT>PASTE ATTRIBUTES. Check the filters box and hit OK.
c) I asked the same question at the last LAFCPUG meeting, and someone said that if you put SLUG on the top layer, then att the effect that it would do it. But I haven't tried it yet...
September 24, 2005 11:57PM
Ah, of course! The slug! I knew it was useful for something.

Thanks.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
September 25, 2005 12:41AM
> someone said that if you put SLUG on the top layer

I just tried it with three different filters (Color Corrector, Blur and Tint) and it didn't work. Either there's a step missing, or it's misinformation. In theory, it doesn't make sense. A Slug can be used for storing FX parameters.
September 25, 2005 12:44AM
I thought the SLUG thing sounded dubious. I mention it only because it was brought up at the last meeting...
September 25, 2005 01:48AM
I ended up "shift" selecting the clips I wanted and then applied the effect that way.

September 25, 2005 09:27AM
> I thought the SLUG thing sounded dubious. I mention it only because it was
> brought up at the last meeting...

One method I *have* used in a similar vein is to use a black or white colour matte at five to 10 per cent opacity and draped it over an entire sequence as a darkening/brightening device. It sometimes gives a flavour I can't get with colour correction. And of course, extremely easy to show and hide, much easier than filters.
September 26, 2005 11:32AM
Yeah, i wasn't at the last meeting, but I am betting the slug on tp was just to add black bars for letter boxing.
September 26, 2005 03:23PM
Nest the sequence, drag and drop the effect to the nest.

Very simple....

KM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics