FCPX 10.0.1 is out

Posted by craig seeman 
Re: FCPX 10.0.1 is out
September 20, 2011 06:44PM
One thing to take into consideration is that after you download the upgrade and open projects that have been completed, it now goes through and seems to be re-rendering all the previous titles. If you only have a few titles, no problem, but on one project, it is it looks like it is going to be busy for half hour or so.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 06:55PM
I should point out that a note came up asking if it was ok to convert all the projects. I just said yes, so this might not have happened if you said No.
September 20, 2011 07:32PM
Does it have the possibility of source and canvas windows for matching cuts?
Does it retain in and out markers on your clips?
Can you export a portion of a timeline, instead of the whole timeline?
Does it have any control over export quality?
Is it functional without the skimmer on?
Can you export to broadcast tape formats?
Can you import from broadcast tape formats?
Is there any proper DVD authoring yet?

These are genuine questions, not snipes.

September 20, 2011 07:35PM
Only Motion and Compressor on my Updates in the App Store - and I'm in Phoenix.
September 20, 2011 07:50PM
Compressor and Motion updates here in Florida, but not FCPX yet.
September 20, 2011 07:58PM
Only Motion and Compressor on my Updates in the App Store - and I'm in Phoenix.

Well thats why then. You must be in Tuscon. smiling smiley

Some people say the app store does not see the FCPX installed. So they click install anyway then it sees it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 08:04PM
I had this problem. It said FCPX wasn't installed so I clicked the Install button and then it said it couldn't install because it was already installed. I had to delete FCPX from my Applications folder and then click the Install button in my Purchased tab to get it to work.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 20, 2011 09:24PM
craig seeman said:
It's the price of a plugin. Purchase it. Use it on a job for a couple of hours now that it's not a "locked box" and its paid for itself.

No thanks. It's not ready for the way I work.

Not every person works like you craig so you cannot have all the answers for every person. Regardless of how desperately you think it's the bees knees and you have an answer for everything FCP X, I don't need to waste $300 just because it's "the price of a plug-in". That would mean I would be blowing $300 on a plug-in that I never use. It's bug filled, unstable and missing key features. If Broadcast Monitoring is not coming until early 2012 then I that's when I'll look at it again. I don't buy software because someone tells me to buy it. I buy software that makes me productive. This doesn't...yet. I will wait for the next iteration, thanks.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 20, 2011 09:57PM
> It's the price of a plugin. Purchase it. Use it on a job for a couple of hours now
> that it's not a "locked box" and its paid for itself.

The thing is, why would I buy a plugin that doesn't do anything that my usual editing software already does better, faster, more conveniently, more intuitively, and in a much more versatile manner? And without ridiculous workarounds, fundamental bugs, third-party software and arduous retraining on an editing model that doesn't work for my editor's mindset? A bad tool will compromise my editing process not just technically, but creatively. No matter how cheap that bad tool was.

www.derekmok.com
September 20, 2011 10:01PM
Well thats why then. You must be in Tuscon.

Ha Ha!... My problem right now is that Motion 5 is showing up on the App Store as not installed. But I purchased it back in June. It's installed on my Mac Pro. Apple App Store support told me to re-download it. But when I try to do that I get a message: "Motion 5.0 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store". Really! So where else did a buy it from? Why does my receipt say "Mac App Store"? I didn't think this App Store thing was a good idea in the first place...

But good news is that I was able to update FCP X and Compressor.
September 20, 2011 10:06PM
Just delete it from your hard disk and press Install again. Worked for me.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 20, 2011 10:07PM
Yep, that worked for me. Just saw that in the Apple forums.
Delete FCPX App, Restart, Install from App Store.
September 20, 2011 10:17PM
That's scary, but okay!
September 20, 2011 10:25PM
Another example of the lafcpug rule: let jon Chappell be the first to update and THEN a week later, after following his posts, you can update too

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 10:34PM
Larry Jorden talks about the FCP X update on his blog:

Larry's Blog

I found this nice:

"At our meeting, I was shown an XML export of an FCP X project directly into a pre-release version of Blackmagic Design?s DaVinci Lite! This replicates the ability to send a project to Color, with fewer restrictions and faster export. The Apple representatives told me that the entire DaVinci line would support XML transfers from FCP X.

This is great news for anyone looking to do serious color grading of their FCP projects."

And take note, Blackmagic Design?s DaVinci Lite is free!
September 20, 2011 10:58PM
The DaVinci Resolve Lite is a one light station with some cool tools, not a full on color correction machine, not unless you do multiple passes or your idea of color correction does not include serial/parallel layers.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 20, 2011 11:57PM
I'm using it for AHCHD/H.264 based projects. If I don't need a missing feature such as multicam, I'm able to turnaround several projects faster since I don't need to convert to ProRes nor do I need to background render to it (so far) in the projects I've done. The just added GPU accelerated export may make things even faster.

You can easily argue Premiere Pro can do the above but FCPX is working for me for these projects for less money than Adobe Production Suite and I still have FCPX. I have reason to rush to another NLE if FCPX adds key features that were missing for me in FCP7.

Stems out will help me further in some cases. Roles not only is an export feature but I can now turn off Titles or Music from the Timeline Index much as one does with tracks. Now that Apple's released the camera import SDK (note the comments on Apple's site about Sony and XDCAM EX), I expect we'll see direct import for more/most file based none AVCHD cameras.

FCPX paid for itself in one small partial day use even in its feature limited state on projects that FCP7 was definitely not as well suited for.

It can't replace the other NLEs yet, not even with today's update. But for the few things it does better and more added today, it easily pays for itself just as any specific plugin.

For example, even though Colorista can't touch Color or Resolve, that doesn't mean professional had no use for that plugin. Right now FCPX is a very good "stand alone" plugin that pays for itself. After today it doesn't even "stand alone" anymore. I've heard that even DaVinci Resolve Lite will soon accept XML from FCPX.
September 21, 2011 01:35AM
>You can easily argue Premiere Pro can do the above but FCPX is working for me for
>these projects for less money than Adobe Production Suite

It's production suite. For commercial shortform work, Production Premium is a no brainer. You need it to convert ai files, switch logos from cmyk to rgb, resize graphics, on top of simple compositing jobs and green screen.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 21, 2011 09:16AM
Derek Mok said:
The thing is, why would I buy a plugin that doesn't do anything that my usual editing software already does better, faster, more conveniently, more intuitively, and in a much more versatile manner? And without ridiculous workarounds, fundamental bugs, third-party software and arduous retraining on an editing model that doesn't work for my editor's mindset? A bad tool will compromise my editing process not just technically, but creatively. No matter how cheap that bad tool was.

...bingo thumbs down smileys with beer

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 21, 2011 12:49PM
In San Diego, the update is still not there.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics