Converting PAL to NTSC Mpeg-2 causes Jagged Edges and Unstable Images...

Posted by rdomalpalli 
Converting PAL to NTSC Mpeg-2 causes Jagged Edges and Unstable Images...
March 22, 2006 02:52PM
Hello,

I have PAL footage that I'm trying to convert o NTSC MPeg-2 so that I can write out a DVD.
I find that the images have Jagged Edges especially on lines/ borders that are Not-Vertical. The Image as a whole appears unstable and seems to flicker. Movement (that of Characters) appears very stuttery.
The Average Bit Rate when compressing was set to 6.7MB/sec and the Max was set to 8.2. I chose Progressive. I'm using Final Cut Studio (FCP Version 5 and DVD StudioPro Version 4). and the conversion was done in Compressor on a 2.7GHz, Dual Processor G5 running Tiger.

What could be the problem? Where can I find more information about this?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
Rajnesh
Re: Converting PAL to NTSC Mpeg-2 causes Jagged Edges and Unstable Images...
March 24, 2006 09:00AM
After some experimentation I found that by chaning from Progressive to Interlaced, the result seemed better.
I'm still at a loss though since the Progressive Scan looked bad on my Computer Monitor - and I would imagine that a Computer monitor shouldn't have trouble with that.
My original Source was a DPX Image Sequence that I converted to Quicktime Movie using Graphic Converter, and it was in this that I set the Scan Preference to Progressive (earlier) and Interlaced (now).
I also found that a company called Iridias makes a product called FrameCycler (I haven't yet tried it), that converts from several Image Sequences (which you get if you're doing a Digitail Intermediate from footage that originated on Film) to Quicktime Movies.

Regards,
RD
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics